Part 6) Stronger Than Me

"Why are you staring at my sister?" His deep voices boomed behind me in the middle of the crowd.

I turned to find Romeo hovering over me. "She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." I dragged my eyes back to her perfect swaying body.

She held a dark complected man in her arms leading him with the rhythm. Her long dark hair swung behind her tall lean body.

I was surprised when he let a small smile spread across his cheeks.

"Yes, she is." He grabbed my hips dragging me into a dance.

I was taught how to dance but I wasn't always very good at it. I prayed that God would keep me from stepping on his toes.

"Aurora is a very dangerous woman. Very serious. I don't think you would get along." His grip on my waist tightens.

"You seem in a better mood." I said lightly unable to meet his eyes.

"I'm a little drunk. You'll find me easier to bare when I'm wasted."

"Wonderful." I sighed angry.

Why was he so intent on hurting me?!

"One day we will have children Cecilia. I think you will see me differently then." He observed the room vigilantly.

"Id mutilate my own reproductive system before I brought your children into this world." I sneered finally gaining some courage.

"Do you know what I am going to do to you for that comment?" He leaned down.

"I hope you kill me." I tried to push away but he pulled me closer into him until I could feel his body against mine.

"Worse." He mumbled against my ear. "You've been hurt Cecilia. Badly. But you've been far too sheltered. Maybe one day when you can't handle it anymore, I can help you relieve that pain."

For the first time I voluntarily looked into his eyes. They were harsh but I knew he was being honest.

In response I laid my arms over his shoulders less reluctant to his touch. My hands intertwined behind his neck.

I was angry. He didn't know me. How could he expect me to marry him?

"I know you think marrying me is the worst thing in the world. . .and you'd rather be dead. But there are many worse things." He speaks coldly.

We danced for only a few more songs without any more conversation. It wasn't awkward.

I was scared and nervous. Tomorrow I would have to face him at an altar.

"You look lonely." A blond boy pulled out the chair next to me.

I started at him as Romeo had instructed me not to mingle.  I soon decided that it wasn't worth the silence.

"Lonely, but not alone." I muttered watching Romeo make his way around the room.

His long legs and torso made him easy to spot above the crowd. Every time he flashed a smile, shivers ran down my spine.

"Not alone? I've watched you sit at this empty table for over an hour now."

I turned to face the man who had seated himself.

"You've been watching me?" I asked a little scared.

"How could I not?" His genuine smile poured through me like a warm glass of sunshine.
"Valentino! Did the Don approve of this?" A grey haired woman grabbed him by the arm. She glared between the two of us.

He slowly looked back to me scooting away. "I'm sorry Ms.Russo."

"It's fine Moretti. Stay." My security guard sneaked up behind us.

The woman's shoulders relaxed. "Cecilia I need you to follow me." The alarmed tone in her voice made me timid to follow her.

This place was shaking my nerves. I needed to see a doctor. She led me back to a corner where Romeo's sister had been waiting for me. The look on  her eyes screamed danger.

Bells went off in my head. I questioned her without thought at first taken back.

"Look Cecilia, I don't have time for your innocent ramblings. Ferrato wants you in his study now." She warmed letting me know it was serious. Whatever had happened was delicate information.

I followed her lean body out of the ballroom and down a dark corridor.

"Cara mia. . ." His voice trailed off at the sight of me.

I was taken abrupt by his sudden affection towards me. It was gone soon enough as it had come.

"Shut your mouth boy. You and that girl have some explaining to do." An older man stood in front of Romeo's desk.

He was clean and well dressed. Every grey hair perfectly in place. Mustache perfectly groomed.
My eyes widened wondering if he could possibly be talking about me.

"Nonno, Romeo had every right to do what-" Aurora stood forward facing the stern old man.
"Did I ask you to speak Aurora?" He gave her a cold glance and she silenced. "I want to know why four of the Russo brothers are hanging from a single crucifix  on their own plantation?!" He shouted making my knees buckle beneath me with fear.

I knew he was angry when I walked in but that was uncalled for. A smile curled onto Romeos lips and his eyes ventured off to the side. The snickering bastard couldn't resist.

"ROMEO!"

"Blood is still due Nonno. Did you forget what they have done to us? I won't go another day until Giovanni Russo thinks he's living in hell." Romeo's temper rages. I was going to pee my pants.

"We can't risk it anymore Romeo. Your violence has gotten far out of hand! You will marry the Russo girl, and you will stop with your unnecessary violence!" Ferrato Montana's voice echoed through the room.

I could feel the anger boiling inside of Romeo's blood. I didn't even have to be near him. His temper was terrible, everybody knew it. But it was starting to get worse. The rest of the mafia was becoming worried. Worried he would do something so incredibly wreckless it would sacrifice the family.

Bingo! He ran his fist straight through a stone statue off to the side.

"Uncle Giovanni!" I cried coming to terms with the situation. Romeo had strung up my relatives on a clothesline and sworn hell to my favorite uncle. I lunge at him clawing at the tan skin beneath his suit.

"Non ora Cecilia!" Romeo cried wrestling me to the floor.

(Not now)

"Enough!" Ferrato shouted.

"Kneel." His grandfather commanded us to do so.
Romeo fell to the man's feet bowing his head in shame. I did the same as my cheeks burned with embarrassment.

Ferrato slammed his steel cane into the side of Romeo's perfect jaw. He lightly winced for a moment letting the pain show on his face. It had broken the skin. I watched the blood run down his mouth.

"Please no!" I cried out blocking my face with my hands as he turned to pull the cane back on me.

"CeCe!" Romeo pushes me down shielding me with his massive body.

I could hear the loud crack against his back. This time he verbally expressed the pain. "Cazzo!"

(Fuck)

"You stupid boy." Ferrato yanked back the cane with just enough time for Romeo to sit up and push me towards Aurora.

She dragged me out of the room quickly as Ferrato only began pounding on Romeo.

"No!" I cried out with no hope.

I was taken back by her immense strength. I had no chance fighting against her. Only once we were outside the door did the terrible screams and noises begin.

Aurora let me stand by the door with my weary eyes. She knew this was something I hadn't gotten the privilege to experience. Which led me to come to a new conclusion.

"I want to be strong Aurora. I want to be like you. Emotionally and physically." I said.

"Maybe one day Cecilia, I'd like to help you with that." She places a hand on my shoulder leading me away from the door.