Part 31) Escape

"Romeo." I whispered with sympathy seeing his cold unconscious sister on the floor.

I'll admit, for a weak moment I believed he had loved her all this time. If I was going to be with Romeo, and if Aurora were ever to be forgiven, I would have to let go of my jealous and paranoid worries. What was I thinking, she loves my husband! She was lucky I didn't have the heart to conjure up more spiteful thoughts.

I didn't know if something so deceitful could be forgiven in the mafia. But Romeo was different. Underneath everything that he was lied a warm mushy heart. And that warm mushy heart would always love his sister. If I could forgive her why wouldn't he? Time will tell.

"We have to get out of here. I'm sure Dante's already turned the guards against me." He started pulling on my arm.

"Romeo where will we go? There are guards everywhere!" I insisted.

"They'll be expecting my death. If I can get to my room we'll be safe." He tugged me out of the office.

"What do you-"

"Damnit! Just trust me Cecilia!" His voice was hoarse and urgent.

I wasn't going to fight Romeo in such an urgent situation. Both of our lives were at risk. The only chance I really had lied with him.

He yanked me around a corner smacking his hand over my mouth. "Shhh."

His chest heaved up and down against my back. My blood was pulsing ridiculously fast through my veins. I was shaking so vigorously I feared it could be heard.

The sound of footsteps neared us.

"Down the left corridor.  He most likely went into a defensive mode and will kill anyone in his path. He's dangerous but unarmed." Dante's voice instructed many pattering feet away from us.

As Romeo analyzed their location he pulled me up the marble stairs to his bedroom.

"That would have been the old Romeo's first choice. Unfortunately for Dante, that's not who I am anymore." He locked the door and rushed to the other side of the room.

Romeo lifted a hidden panel in the bottom of his wardrobe and pulled out a large satchel.  My eyes widened surprised he had prepared for such a thing in his own home. I was taken with more surprise when he led me to the bathroom, thumped one of the tiles, and revealed a secret passage out of the estate.

"Come Cecelia." He offered his hand out to me.

The tunnel was dark and damp. What would happen if they found me here all alone in Romeo's room? If I didn't go with him what would he do? I had to trust him out of nothing but love. With Romeo presumed dead and Dante taking the empire, we had nothing. Even our names were guilty. What life could we really have now? My future always seemed so set in stone. As it became blurrier I questioned if I stability was really such a bad thing.

As I took his hand he shut the door with a sigh of relief.

"Not even Dante knows about these tunnels. Father placed them here in secret when the house was built. Other than him I'm the only one who knows. We should start seeing an exit soon."

I could tell we were either going towards a basement or the back of the house as the floor got steeper.

"Romeo what will we do when we get out?!" I grabbed onto his arm for support as my heart started to beat frantically.

"Oh well. . .you know, we'll just find the road, and I'll. . .grand theft auto it outta here." He shrugged becoming more calm as we went.

"Fantastic plan." I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you. You know I just came up with it off the top of my head but, I didn't want to embarrass myself so I didn't say anything-"

"Romeo!"

"I'm sorry Cecilia, that's all I got!" He threw his arms out defenseless.

I clung tightly to him somewhat afraid.

"You don't have to be scared Cecilia. We have plenty of money, weapons. We don't have to have kids anymore."

I pulled away from him taken back. "Romeo, are you suggesting we abandon the mafia?" I raised an eyebrow concerned.

"Isn't that our only option here? My brother and sister are bat shit crazy and my empires turned against me."

This didn't sound like Romeo. The mafia was his life long before I was ever a thought in his mind. What about that crazy blood lust? He would never be satisfied. I couldn't even fathom all of the rage he would build up.

"I think you hit your head."

"I think I'm being forced into early retirement." A frustrated look rested on his face.

"What about your parents?" I asked as light could be seen from the end of the tunnel.

Romeo pushed out the window that now faced us.

"They'll be taken care of by my siblings I'm sure." He grasped my hand pulling me quickly into the forest.

Once hidden by the trees he swung the satchel off his shoulder and retrieved a shotgun from it. Here we go.

"Would you stop rolling your eyes." He spat.

"I wonder why I'm rolling my eyes." Another eye roll ensued.

"Now is not the time to start having marital problems CeCe." I laughed as he pulled me off to the highway.

"UGHHH! This is insane!" I ran my hands through my hair.

As soon as the fastest, most expensive car rolled around the curb Romeo jumped out onto the road and strategically shot around the car. They pulled over onto the side of the curb. As Romeo approached the vehicle a family poured out with their hands up. He offered them bundles of hundred dollar bill to replace the car but out of fear the money was stolen or counterfeit they refused.

"Where now?" I asked.

He pursed his lips in thought. I guess neither of us believed we would get this far.

"Where do you want to go?" He asked no less baffled.

********************************************
Where do you guys think Cecilia and Romeo should go next? Would you rather Dante or Aurora be the big villain?