Chapter 1 | Given A Chance

Seo Yumi was a low profile composer who kept her identity a secret. To her employers, she was always addressed by a pen name, SoYou. Though she considered composing music as simply a hobby, SoYou had produced many great ballad songs and tracks for top artists within the Korean entertainment industry.

By day, she worked at Big Hit Entertainment as a small production assistant with paperwork occupying most of her time. The company has always been kind to their employees and she enjoyed working there. One reason was because she was a loyal ARMY and especially treasured the small instances of when she caught sight of BTS in the office. She was captivated by how passionate the boys were such that she wanted to somehow be part of their music.

Repeatedly, she has sent demos of her composition to Big Hit as SoYou but was continuously rejected because the songs were not a fit to BTS's style. Often, she'd think it was inevitable since she specialized in ballad songs rather than hip-hop. But she didn't give up. Her latest track, composed specifically with the boys in mind, was an EDM piece with an upbeat tempo mained by a sampler. The notes were played softly with a simple melody, giving flexibility to the track so it could fit into various genres depending on the lyrics overlaid.

But she has not heard any news for an entire week since she had submitted it to Big Hit's production team. She was about to assume another rejection until she received an email from them which read:

"Dear SoYou-sshi,

After long deliberation, we have decided to choose your track for the next album and would like to meet you personally to discuss the contract. Please pick a date at your convenience to meet the production team and the boys.

Sincerely,
Slow Rabbit"

Yumi covered her mouth to prevent the gleeful exclamation. At last, her track was chosen. But her excitement cooled as sudden as it rose, realizing she had to meet them. To keep her identity hidden, SoYou had met with her employees only in necessity and always with a face mask on. However, Yumi was a production assistant at Big Hit and has met with many of the production team, including Slow Rabbit who sent the email. They may recognize her more easily.

She has always been sensitive to the publicity. Rather, she hated it. She didn't want to be pressured in a contract to produce music tirelessly for a single artist or company. If she had the freedom to produce what she wanted, she felt better music came out of it. So, keeping Yumi and SoYou as different people was imperative to her.

But her ARMY side wasn't going to allow her to decline a meeting with the boys even at the risk of being recognized. She replied kindly to Slow Rabbit's email.

"Dear Slow Rabbit-sshi,

It's a pleasure to receive such a good news from you. I will be available tomorrow after working hours and will be happy to meet at Big Hit's office. However, I seek for your understanding that due to personal reasons, I will not expose my appearance and voice. As such, I will only use a notebook for communication. To identify me, I will be dressed in a black suit, cap, and face mask.

I hope to receive your approval on this matter.

Sincerely,
SoYou"

Yumi received a confirmation email from Slow Rabbit almost immediately that he and the production team agreed to the condition. With a relieved sigh, Yumi continued work with slight feelings of excitement and nervousness. Whenever one of the production team passed her desk, she felt goosebumps rise.

Tomorrow will be a whole lot more nerve-wracking compared to other meetings she's had with other companies as SoYou. After all, it'll be all familiar faces in one room which was super risky concerning her double identity. But no matter--since BTS will be there as well.