Chapter 12 | Prayers

"...huh?"

As if all the air had suddenly discharged out of her lungs, SoYou hung her mouth open beneath her mask, unaware that her voice had leaked due to the shock. It was so sudden--his question, coupled with an interrogative tone that just came out of nowhere. Weren't they working peacefully together on the mixtape like a minute ago?

Maybe...it was possible she didn't she hear J-Hope correctly--

"You're Yumi, right?"

Flinching, SoYou shook her head. "N-no..." Compared to his initial inquiry, J-Hope's voice had become more stern. It unnerved her. "I mean, I-I'm...her...not..."

What was going on?! Why does he know?

Rather, does it matter? SoYou's identity was protected by the contract with BigHit anyways.

J-Hope could just be curious and wanted to start a nonchalant conversation after an hour of working. And even if she confirmed it to him, he was considered one of the most professional members of BTS despite his charming and lively attitude. She knew he'd never abuse that knowledge for selfish reasons.

So, did it really matter if he knew?

Yes. Oh my god...yes, it does.

He could tell Jimin. The worst case scenarios she dreamt of could come true. Jimin could get hurt because of some small, bypassing comment, causing him to contemplate dangerous thoughts through the night with no potential intervention.

No. That can't happen-- I can't let his own member be the trigger.

Shaking her head hurriedly, she jumped from her chair to pick up her tablet beside J-Hope on the sofa. Her voice had been unintentionally exposed but at the very least, she could somehow convince him to disregard this topic. She managed two steps before a wave of nausea engulfed her, blurring her vision. Her breath hitched, and she lost all coordination with her feet before tilting haphazardly forward.

"SoYou-!" Catching her around the shoulder before she dived headfirst onto the floor, J-Hope asked in alarm. "Are you okay? Hey!"

She gritted her teeth and shuddered, frustrated that her frail body wasn't listening to her at such a dire time. To add to her troubles, her cap had fallen due to her lowered position and her long ash brown, pink ombre hair drooped over her face.

He was going to find out. At the moment, the remaining protection she had left was a thin face mask.

No...

SoYou gripped J-Hope's arm that was around her and struggled weakly against his hold.

"Stop moving." J-Hope ordered, causing SoYou to immediately pause. "I thought you looked sick when you came in, but it's really this bad, huh? You should've messaged to reschedule this meeting." Despite his straightforward words, the concern laced in his voice was genuine, causing her to lose any resistance as he shifted her to lay on the sofa.

Kindly brushing the cold sweat from her forehead, J-Hope took the chair and allowed her to recompose herself. Under his watchful stare, she shut her eyes and focused on controlling her breathing. After a moment, she exhaled, feeling the pounding in her head lessen to a manageable ache. Slowly sitting up, she leaned into the sofa, prepared herself and faced J-Hope.