Chapter 3 | Inner Demons

Two weeks flew by since BTS has met SoYou the first time. Though the boys were instructed to not touch the lyrics during their break between concert dates, some of them had submitted their individual demos for SoYou's track to Bang PD. As such, he decided to forward them to SoYou, including details of the composition progress and a request for a follow-up meeting.

"Dear SoYou-sshi,

I would like to inform you that Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hoseok have submitted guide tracks to me for your piece. Since the final decision for the lyrics will need to be made by the start of next month, I have attached them for your review. I have given the others a hard deadline for the end of the month but if you find any tracks here to your liking, there is no need to wait.

Please respond to me your decision.

Sincerely,
Bang PD"

Yumi sighed as she read the email. She was aware of how efficiently the boys worked considering their mass success after only four years since debut, but she didn't expect to be pressured with a deadline so quickly. She had always felt that for a song to be truly meaningful, it needed time to develop. With that mindset, she replied back to him immediately without opening the attachments.

"Dear Bang PD,

I understand that there is a deadline on the submission but I don't wish to rush the boys. I will be able to finalize the song within a week so please wait until the end of this month for lyric entries. There is still time as this song will not be included in the upcoming YNWA album according to Pdogg-sshi. Then, I will make use of what's available.

In addition, please let the boys know my email address for any questions in regards to the composition.

Thank you,
SoYou"

And with that, she focused back on her work.

***

"I am surrounded by a sea of lights. With the spotlight on me, I perform.

Am I showing the right dance? Am I singing the right words? Am I being the best I can be?

With so many expectations, my feet occasionally freeze and my words leave me. I get scared."

Lifting the pencil off the page of his notebook, Jimin noticed an email notification then. Shifting on the sofa to pick up his phone, he read Bang PD's message.

"Everyone, SoYou has informed me that she will wait until the end of the month for lyric entries. As such, Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hoseok are free to revise your entries. For the others, try your best for your submissions, but be aware that she will use whatever's available then so don't stress about it.

For any questions on the actual composition details, reach out to her directly. Her personal email is SoYouSoMe@hotmail.com

This is our first work with SoYou so control yourselves and behave. She has a good reputation as a composer and has produced many hit pieces. Though we set her up with a limited contract, there is always a chance to extend it. So don't scare her away but make the most of this partnership."

Try your best... Do not scare her away...

Jimin slumped onto the pillow in the studio. "Of course Monie hyung and Suga hyung already made lyrics for SoYou's song. Even Hobi hyung was done and I'm sure Jin hyung, Taehyung, and Jungkookie were close to be done as well." He mumbled aimlessly to himself as he pulled at strands of his hair. "But me? Two hours...it's already been two hours since I locked myself in here, and I have only written the first verse."

At that, he reread what he wrote but the spark he first felt when he wrote it seemed to have completely been washed away. In a swift motion, he erased it all.