Chapter 7 | Small Light

All of BTS gathered together in the recording studio--the same room each member had taken turns to ponder and struggle the past months over their lyric submissions. Jimin was no stranger to this room, often taking naps in it from being overloaded with frustration. But not today. They had gathered here to record Rise. The rappers had completed their sections first and dispersed quickly to provide privacy to the vocalists. Since Rise was a sentimental song with lots of vocal parts, the proper amount of emotions were required to be sung and V, Jin, and Jungkook professionally handled that--completing their recordings speedily with beautiful vocals. As Jimin stepped into the soundproof section, he felt a tinge of nervousness despite having recorded countless songs and guide tracks.

Why...because I was singing the part I had written myself?

Exhaling sharply and shaking his hands to relieve his tension, he sang.

Then immediately asked for a redo.

Slow Rabbit was incredibly patient as he asked for redos after redos but Jimin could tell through the glass pane that he was getting fatigued. Even V, who had stayed behind, had fallen asleep on the sofa with his phone in hand. Though Jimin felt guilty, he felt there was something missing from hearing his own voice--like the person who sung it didn't understand the emotions of the person who wrote the lyrics. How strange.

This must be what Monie hyung and Yoongi hyung felt every time. They put so much effort into the lyrics and would get frustrated with themselves and us if we in turn halfhearted the recording.

Noted. Never complain when they demand retakes ever again. It'd be rude to their passion and hard work.

The entire recording for Rise took about three days with the final day monopolized by Jimin's sections. Once he finished, the edits were finalized soon afterward, readying the song for its release. However, it would be put on hold without much surprise due to BTS's preparation for their world tour and promotion period of the YNWA album.

***

"So unfair..." Yumi mumbled as she read the email from Bang PD. After a couple of refreshes to make sure she wasn't reading it incorrectly, she could only sigh. Rise was determined to be released after BTS's overseas activities, potentially six months later.

What was the point in rushing the members for lyric submissions then?

Yumi pouted before rolling over on her bed.

Wait...Or was the original intent to release Rise prior to the year-end performance? And now it was pushed back so far because of my request?

After a moment, she exhaled tiredly and closed her eyes. There was no point in pondering or getting upset about it. Bang PD and the other producers knew what was best for BTS. As their employee and an ARMY, she could only trust in Big Hit's decision. After all, they had protected and treasured the boys long before their fans or anyone has.

She took a moment to let that truly thought to sink in before reaching to grab her laptop resting on the bedside table. With an apologetic tone in his message, Bang PD had allowed SoYou to collaborate with other agencies during this interval. Compiling an email to her contacts in WM Entertainment, she notified them of available tracks she had composed and offered to provide composition lessons to their artists and trainees.

SoYou, the freelance composer, was back for temporary hire.

***