Chapter 10 | Selfless

Feeling a jabbing headache and nausea the next morning, Yumi called in sick to the office before heading to the doctor who easily diagnosed her of overwork. After getting a shot of nutrition, she rested at home and set an alarm on her clock for when she would meet with J-Hope.

On the other hand, she silenced her phone, depressed at the optimistic texts Jimin was sending about the upcoming concert. She just had no heart or courage to return his messages. She was partially thankful for her current ill condition because it meant she could evade him during work.

Having cried all night, she had time to reflect and stabilize mentally. Ultimately, she wasn't particularly afraid of revealing her double identity as long as no media attention came with the package. SoYou existed because of Yumi's love for music. Still, it would never be more than a hobby, so she wasn't averse to going dormant in the industry for a while. It has occurred before. With her unique hair dye and slim body, employees from YG Entertainment were successful in recognizing her on the streets without her disguise. She became uneasy when they teased on social media by revealing SoYou's illusive identity. Though composers were largely overlooked, their music wasn't, especially if a well-known singer or idol group furthered their popularity. And as one of the top ballad composers who has gotten multiple hits on music charts, the lack of social media presence or photographs were intriguing to some curious fans. Luckily, no major repercussions came out of the incident at YG as her contract requirements always included protection of her identity.

But Jimin was a completely different story.

The truth could do more harm to him than her. Nevertheless, she was torn between being straightforward or silent. Instinctively, she knew if Jimin learned of her identity from someone else, he'd spiral through his negative train of thoughts without a chance for Yumi to reassure him that she wasn't hiding the truth because she was in anyway displeased towards him.

She had to tell him. Directly.

This was the solution her mind reached and she intended to act upon it. At least, once she had the correct words to convey scripted in her head when she meets Jimin. Gripping her hands together, she prayed that this would end without him crying.

Please...let me be able to protect him even if it's from himself.

After a moment, Yumi sighed deeply and curled into her blankets. Similar to Jimin, she had a tendency to overthink matters which would often end in a desire to run away from all of her problems. This wasn't any different. The thought of cutting all ties with Jimin as SoYou has been considered. Since the beginning, she had been extra cautious with her interactions with BigHit's producers and with a fair amount of confidence, the truth may never come to light. That way, Yumi could forever act the innocent listener for Jimin.

If he never knows, he won't get hurt. With her entire heart, she would be fine with that solution as well even if it would hurt her instead.

***

Since before dawn, BigHit's production staff had been setting up the audio and lighting equipments within the Gymnasium Stadium, prepping the vast stage for BTS who arrived a couple of hours later. After the boys took center stage and greeted the staff, Jimin surveyed the vast stadium and the countless of rows of empty seats. In a month, they would all be filled by ARMY, including Yumi and possibly SoYou. Jimin gripped his fists to his chest and inhaled.