Chapter 9 | Nagging Thoughts

"W-what-- Who...who did you say was the other p-person?" Yumi stuttered in her panic but she had to be sure she heard him correctly.

"It's SoYou... Yumi, is something wrong?"

Of course there was something wrong!

Yumi bit into her lower lip tightly to keep her composed appearance so as to not startle Jimin who was now furrowing his brows in concern.

Why...oh why does Jimin want me to make friends with SoYou... I mean, myself-- Ahhh... What do I do?

She cleared her throat then noticed that her palms were sweating profusely so she hurriedly hid them behind her back. "Jimin, I...um...I'm really grateful for the ticket and I-I'll definitely go to the concert. But I have to get back to work now since I have a lot of things to do-- I'm sorry..."

"Ah, right. Sorry about taking so much of your time when it's so hectic right now. I won't be in the office much after today since we have to move to on site rehearsals in addition to filming the MV and preparing the next full album." Jimin paused as he counted his fingers, not wanting to bore her with his work. "Anyways, I'll hopefully see you at the concert venue another time then? Or during the actual concert. Since I know you and SoYou will be watching, I'll do my best."

"Of course...text me if u need anything, okay? And good luck for all the recordings and concert, but please remember not to overwork yourself. I'll see you later." Yumi waved to Jimin who in return gave his beaming smile before leaving the break room.

And as soon as he was out of sight, Yumi dropped to the ground.

Oh my god...

Touching her cheeks with trembling fingers, she felt her upturned lips and relaxed slightly, relieved that she was able to face Jimin with a proper smile. However, she couldn't deny the pit growing in her mind at the situation.

I...I just lied to him...

Clenching her hands together, she pushed them against her forehead as she tightly shut her eyes.

He's so sweet... But I just lied to him even though I know by heart how sensitive he is.

The poor boy couldn't even sleep properly because of a single death tweet from some attention seeker and went on an extreme diet because of haters' careless comments. If he reacted that strongly to strangers, how would he react if it was someone close to him?

Though Yumi knew it was arrogant to put herself or SoYou on such a pedestal concerning their relationship with Jimin, it was fact that he just put her and his family and friends in the same sentence when handing her the VIP ticket, so she couldn't help but be terrified. Could she be the next thing that caused issues to his mental condition?

Would Jimin get disappointed that the SoYou he endlessly praised and admired as a genius composer was just a production assistant?

Would he get angry that he was being blatantly lied to?

Would he think that Yumi was laughing on the inside at the fool before her who couldn't tell they were the same person?

No.

He could never think that because unfortunately, his self esteem would drive his thoughts the other direction. He would blame himself for being 'unworthy' of knowing her secret. And the reason would be absolutely unreasonable. He'd feel their close relationship built on emotional and deep messages over the past 6 months was only in his head and obviously, Yumi felt he was troublesome so that's why she didn't reveal to him her identity.

Tears began falling as Yumi wracked her brain for some way--any way--to prevent Jimin from hurting himself. But as time ticked away unforgivingly, nothing came to mind. The image of Jimin's hurt expression when he eventually finds out the truth stayed prominent in Yumi's mind.