6 - "Eastern Hospitality"

It had been a few days since their arrival in New York and Arnell was disappointed. As soon as they came off the jet she had been confined to an apartment Zeus had rented out for them on the upper East side of Manhattan. According to Zeus, because he didn't know how long they were going to be in New York, he opted to rent out an apartment instead of buy one. He had enough money to own one right away if he wanted, but he didn't want to waste bills in case the stay was not long.

Arnell was excited to see the city, but instead only spent her days inside doing causal things around the condo like watching TV, reading books or talking to her family and friends on the phone. The trip wasn't how she thought it would be. Zeus told her that he didn't want her out of the house because she had never been here and he didn't need her wondering the streets. Although ranked as one of the most popular places in the world, New York was also dangerous.

Sighing, Arnell came out the bedroom in her pajama set. It was 2:00 in the afternoon but she didn't even feel like changing. There was no point when she didn't go anywhere. She was tired of watching reruns of reality TV shows and felt like any minute she would kill herself. Had she known this trip would be so boring she would have just stayed in Texas.

Zeus sat on one of their couches, on his cellphone. He looked over his shoulder when he saw Arnell coming out the back with a big frown on her face. Her hair was a mess and she looked like she'd rather be anywhere else in the world but here.

"What's s'up, Nell."

Arnell plopped down on the couch, making Zeus look at her with a look of amusement and irritation. She stared at him hard, her bottom lip stretched out as her hand supported her chin where she had it propped up on the top of the couch.

"Hell wrong with you?"

"I'm bored Zeus! All I do is stay in here. When can we go out and do something? How can you invite me to the big Apple and then have me locked in here all day?"

"First of all I invited you because I wanted to show you I had nothing going on with my boss, remember? Secondly, we don't do anything because this ain't a vacation. It's a business move, I told you that. I ain't down here to be runnin' around playin'. I'm here to make moves and that's it. New York ain't all of that, you ain't missing nothing, trust me..." He mumbled on the last part, returning to his phone screen.

Arnell rolled her eyes and looked out straight ahead at their plain white walls, folding her arms like a child. She had to say the place they lived in was very nice. The only thing she didn't like about New York so far was the high rise buildings. She was use to fancy and modern things herself since she had been laced ever since she got with Zeus; but a lot of these places were made up of glass and she didn't think that was necessary just to be fancy. Their apartment was on the fifteen floor which she would change if she could. It was one of the only ones left available and Zeus opted for it because he just wanted some place to lay his head.