33 - "Deadly Demise"

Emery woke up in a great mood and Ember noticed. The smile on his face would make her think he hit the lottery; but they were already rich so she knew money wouldn't make him that happy. Sitting up in the bed, Emery stretched before getting up. His pajama pants hung onto his frame nicely, highlighting the shirtless body he kept in decent condition.

Walking across the room, Emery chuckled thinking about an encounter he had with Allele. It was a couple months after Emery had told him on his birthday that he didn't like him. Emery thought Allele would tread lightly and become scared now that Cilia was reunited with her blood family and that he was her father, but the lil' mu'fucka was bold.

Emery stood out by the waters, his elbows resting on the metal post while he lit a cigar. The wind blew, the ocean water making the air much cooler. The fabric of his suit swayed gently in the wind while he squinted his eyes. Sometimes he liked to come out to this spot and think. To just remind himself of the old days.

He thought back to his days of being a young ruthless hustler. Back when he was respected, loved and had the baddest girl on his arm. When he was the man nobody could touch. Even though it was like that now, things didn't feel the same. He often didn't feel the same connection with Ember as he felt with his ex, Tamika. He loved her, but sometimes he felt he just got with her because he was hurt over what his ex had done.

But it was all water under the bridge now. Life went on and he was content with where he was and how his life turned out.

The hairs on the back of Emery's neck stood up and suddenly he felt imaginary insects crawling on his skin. He slowly turned his head to the right and couldn't hide the shock on his face when he saw someone standing right next to him. It was Allele. He watched him as he leaned forward just like him, except one of his feet were up against the lower metal post, the other one on the ground and his hands clasped together.

Allele wasn't even looking at him. He was staring straight forward, out at the ocean, not even so much as blinking. It didn't even look like he had noticed Emery standing there. He was less than eight inches away from him and that alone had really surprised Emery. He couldn't ever remember getting caught slipping that badly.

After a short moment of silence, Allele slowly turned to him, his sugar brown eyes cold like ice. "You think I give a fuck if you don't like me? You think I care if you had problems with Frankie Gray? All that shit is cool, but you crossed a line so I'll warn you before you get yourself killed. That thing you did by repeatedly taking Cilia to your friend's son's house?"

Cilia and Emery had just been getting to know each other around this time. They were forming a good relationship. So Cilia didn't know of her father and boyfriend's dislike for one another. During one of their days out bonding, Emery had taken her to a old friend's house. The man use to run with him back in the day and also had a son four years older than Cilia, who was in law school.