07// White Lies

They say waking up is hard to do, especially when you're not alone. They say that life is full of surprises, that our dreams really can come true. But then again... so can our nightmares.

-Gossip Girl

Heading off campus from my last class of the day, I get a phone call from Nate. He told me he's on his way to go visit his dad in prison. He started venting before I could bring anything up.

L: How's he doing?

N: Fine. He's been meeting with his attorney a lot lately.

L: You think he'll get released on parol?

N: I think so.

L: Nate, that's great news.

N: Yeah

L: You don't sound too excited.

N: I just think he'll screw up again.

L: Regardless, he's your father. You should be happy you'll be able to see him again.

N: You're right. I'm sorry. Speaking of that, how are you holding up?

L: Honestly, I'm not.

N: Well, when I get back into town we'll get ice cream and just talk

L: Okay, I'd like that.

N: Me too. I'll see you soon, Lou.

The call ended and I flagged a cab down to get to the Empire. I have a meeting then a few business calls to make meanwhile when Nate gets back then I'll talk to him about our friendship. I'm excited to see him but a bit nervous to speak about the certain topic.

A few days ago, Andrew Tyler called to notify me that he located my father. He's in a small town in Argentina now all he needs to do is find him in person. There hasn't been an update since which worries me. I've had the same nightmare for two days since the call about my father and he's calling for help.

At the Empire, I greet Mera who smiles widely. "You look amazing today. Your dress is cute." She compliments me.

"Thank you. I even wore these heels to school." I respond, I was too lazy today to stop by home and redress for work. "When my appointment gets here, send them in." I add.

"Sure thing." She says, a smile resting on her face.

I go into my office and sit at my desk. A green post it is stuck on my computer screen. It's from Chuck, his handwriting gave it away not his signature at the bottom. The post-it notifies me that he'll be out of the office for the rest of day but that I'll see him at the New York Observer party tonight. I have no idea what it is but I've heard about it all throughout the day.

My eyes shift to my phone as it rings from an incoming call from Logan. I answer the call, "What a surprise."

"You can never answer with a simple hello can you?" He asks

"I could but I chose not to." I respond "May I ask why you called?"

"To check on you. How's your hand?" He asks