40// In the flesh

Six months later...

In weeks, the so-called concussion the doctor diagnosed had gone away. In months, my mental state was balancing.

A month in Scotland with no social media and drama was more pleasant than it sounded. Nothing but the beautiful scenarios, treats and Logan.

We left after Blair's wedding but Nate called and informed me that didn't end well. When we got back, Nate was the one who got me up to speed on the gossip.

Now it's April, the season of spring. I've taken up yoga and spent time on writing, it's been a writers retreat in my own home for the past months. I didn't know I needed it until a few weeks ago.

My friends are still my friends, I've texted but it's been a week since I've talked to anyone but Nate. He comes over every week, sometimes multiple times to keep me company while Logan's at work.

Nate has been full of drama but he's been refraining himself from telling me. He doesn't want to drag me back into the scandalous lives of Manhattan.

Back in the present life, my fingers tap against the keyboard keys constantly. My brain has been working nonstop, emotions and memories popping into my head. Writing has taken over me, it's been easy and I know why. I'm writing about myself.

This is my story.

A knock on the door interrupted my train of thought and typing. I looked up from the laptop and sighed. I went to the door, checking the peek hole before opening the door for precautions.

All I saw was a large bouquet of pale pink peonies. My eyebrows scrunched up together as to why there's a delivery of flowers.

A head popped up from behind the bouquet, It's Chuck.

Surprised, I unlocked and opened the door. Chuck walked in without an invitation and sat the vase on the coffee table.

"What a surprise." I said as I closed the door.

"It's been a while." Chuck said with a small smile.

I smiled and went over to hug him, it was short but I didn't mind. Through the hug, I felt that Chuck was tense. My eyes scanned his face, he was unsettled but attempted to conceal it.

"What brought you over big brother?" I asked him as I crossed my arms in front of my chest and followed him as he moved through the apartment.

"Logan?" He asked as he peeked into the bedroom.

"He's at work." I stated "Don't worry, He's not mad at us for paying off his drug lord dude. At least not anymore".

"Just as I thought." Chuck said as he worked his way to the dining table. His eyes scanning my laptop "So this what you've been doing."

"It's a work in progress." I said as I closed the laptop, shyly.

Writing about myself made me vulnerable, every page made me weak if someone were to read it.

He smiled softly. "So are you going to tell me why you came?" I asked and his smile dropped.

"To see you." He said as he worked his way into the kitchen.