15// The kids aren't alright

It's a cold new year, Upper East Siders

It's a cold new year, Upper East Siders. Time to donate that fall wardrobe to the help and to present the world with a better version of you: which could mean facing your future and forgetting past mistakes... or finally settling on a brand new path. But a new year doesn't wipe away old problems.

-Gossip Girl

The warm sweet liquid of a cinnamon latte warms my small cold body as it always brings satisfaction to the coffee craving. A small smile settles on my lips as I allow myself to relax in the chair. My mind and body finding ease for once.

The weather is obnoxiously cold, when I step outside my nose gets numb and I always get the sudden feeling to urinate. January weather is not the best, I love the winter weather but lately it hasn't been treating me well. Then again, nothing has.

I focus on the checkers board in front of me, the black chips facing towards me. The majority of my chips are stacked on the opponents side as red conquers the board.

My eyes follow the game as a red chip is lifted up and jumps over my black chip. I huff in disappointment as the black chip is taken off of the board.

"Either you're not putting any effort into this or you suck."

I scowl and furrow my brows at Nate as he glances at me, his cynical smirk playing at his lips.

For once, I don't have a snarky come back which is odd. It bothers me, I question it, I question myself. I haven't been the same since last month, when tragedy struck me, it left an imprint.

I've grown quite familiar with tragedy and the wicked emotions that come with. I've been in one too many complicated situations that I don't know how to react, how to cope.

"Lena." Nate's voice rings through my ears as waves his hand in my face.

I meet his concerned blue eyes "Wanna talk about it?" He asks

"What's there to talk about?" I respond with a nonchalant shrug. I move one of my remaining chips out of it's safety corner and into the middle.

"Everything. You haven't spoken about it, once. You haven't spoken about him, you haven't even mentioned his name. I'm concerned, Lena." Nate says, his voice low and expressing his current emotion. Concerned, worried, anxious, they all mean the same thing.

"You don't need to be concerned, Nate. There I said it, now you can stop worrying." I say, my voice calm and apathetic.

Nate sighs exasperation, he moves his red piece over mine. Now, only one black piece remains on the board.