Chapter 21

Trigger Warning talking about rape and child abuse.

Lauren's POV

"It's about the man that was arrested in your school."

"What about him?" I asked.

Instead of answering me, he turned to Michelle. "Remember the multiple homicide case that we got last month?" She nodded. "It was him. He's our guy."

"Okay... So we basically helped you get your guy. What more do you need from us? I already told everything to the arresting officer."

"I will explain but you need to get Camila."

I nodded and walked towards the bedroom. It was slightly ajar so I took a peek and was relieved to see Camila awake. I knocked softly to get her attention and to prevent Sofi from waking up. "May I come on?" She gave me the permission so I went in. "Detective Simmon's here. He requested your presence."

Camila's POV

Detective Simmon's here? I wonder what on earth happened. "It's not about your mother. It was about the guy who attacked you. He said he'll explain but he needed your presence."

"Okay... I'll be out."

We walked out to the living room to see detectives Simmons and Torres having a conversation with Natalie. I overheard earlier that detective Torres and Natalie were dating.

"We're here." Lauren said to them. "So the pizza guy finally arrived."

We sat on the couch and when everyone's comfortable, he began. "Do you know the person that attacked you?"

I wanted to lie but I knew they'll find out sooner or later. I nodded. "I only knew him as Richard."

"What's your connection with him?" It was the topic that I was dreading to tell. It was sensitive and it was not to everyone's ear to tell. So I just shook my head.

Lauren must have felt my uneasiness so she tried to comfort me and helped divert the issue. "What's this all about?"

We just needed some information from her."

"Can't you see she's hurting?"

"We'll go first then. Richard Stevenson is wanted for multiple homicide. A month ago there was a mess killing at a certain bar. No one survived. Five people died. No clues, no witnesses, no prints on the scene. However, we managed to pull a partial print on one of the shell casings. It was his print. " detective Simmons explained as vaguely as possible. I heard about that incident in the news. It was cruel. They were killed execution style.

"We managed to have a hit on the print since Stevenson had a previous rap sheet on possession of drugs. But he was released earlier due to the deal he cut with the D.A. Office. It was very unusual for him to just randomly attack a girl therefore, I knew that your case was special."

"Okay. I understand." Lauren said and looked at me. "Natalie and I should probably give you more privacy." She offered.

They were about to stand when I stopped them. "No... It's okay. It's time that I tell someone about him." I saw hesitation in Natalie's eyes but I assured her that it was okay.

I'm ready to tell my story.

It was probably best for Lauren and Natalie to know in order for them to understand why I refuse to begin a relationship with Lauren or anyone matter of fact.