Chapter 32

Paul's POV

"Please tell me you got something for me." I said the moment I stepped in the autopsy room where Dr. White was elbowed deep on our victim.

She just removed his liver before paying attention to me. "This young man had been abusing alcohol, just look at his liver." I took a look but for me, all organs looked the same. "Where's your partner?"

"Off the case. Conflict of interest."

"Hmmm."

"Our victim got engaged to Mitch's fiancee, Natalie, who was the older sister of our main suspect."

"That's twisted..." I took a step backward since the sight was really not my thing. "Anyways, bruising on his knuckles indicated that he was in a fight around an hour or two before time of death."

"Natalie told us that he and her sister got into a fight." She then moved towards another table where a two by four was located. "Is that the murder weapon?"

"Yes! He was struck by this baby... Once."

"So we're looking for a big and strong guy?"

"Nopes, based on the angle and impact, you're looking for a girl that was about four inches smaller than him."

"How could a girl kill him with that? Shouldn't he be only knocked unconscious?"

"The impact alone wouldn't kill him." She then turned the wood around. "But this long nail pierced his skull and brain, causing massive bleeding and death."

"So he was whacked like a zombie." I deadpanned. "Is there anything else?"

"I found a small droplets of blood in his undershirt. It belonged to a female. No matched found in our database."

"Must be for Lauren."

"The swab in his groin area indicated that he had sex moments before he died."

"Then there's another woman."

Dr. White then rose a brow. "What makes you say that detective?" Because Lauren's into girls, she won't just have sex with this guy. Or wait... Maybe our victim raped her and it was self defense. She continued when I didn't answer. "Well... You're right. The fluids and the blood doesn't match so you need to go find that girl." This looked good for the Jauregui's. "I'll let you know when I found a match."

Camila's POV

I was surprised when Mani and the gang barged in just as I was preparing breakfast for Sofia. I wished it was Lauren. I'm truly regretting that I said those words and now that she's out of reach, I can't help but think of the worse.

"What are you all doing here?"

"We wanted to explain." James replied.

I didn't want Sofia to hear our conversation so I ordered her to play in our room.

"There's nothing to explain."

"Yes there is." Mani started. "We're all at fault. We admitted, it started as a bet but it became real for Lauren. She really fell head over heels for you Camila. Please forgive us."

"It was my fault. I never should have created that app. Actually, Lauren got mad when she saw it and ordered me to delete it but I restored it. I'm sorry." James pleaded. "Lauren's a good person. Please give her a chance."

"If it weren't for the bet, would Lauren even talk to me?" They all fell silent. That's what I thought. It's just really a bet gone wrong.

"Sooner or later yes." Mani admitted. "Lauren has been crushing on you for a long time. That's the reason that her relationship with other girls are short lived. She can't stop thinking that it was you but she was too coward to make a move."