Unfinished Business

Khushi hurried to the class room holding bunch of papers in one hand and a small water bottle in other. She adjusted her spectacle slipping of her nose carelessly and heaved in relief when she spotted Sunitha mam.

"On time? Khushi enquired

"Yes. Said Sunitha mam smiling at her and handed her a large envelope.

"Oh. Khushi effortlessly adjusted the envelope along with the papers she was already carrying and grinned at Sunitha mam.

"I don't know why you are excited. Said Sunitha Mam nodding her head. "Invigilating exams is the most boring job and invigilating arrear exam is like walking on knife. Most of the students are tend to malpractice and if anyone gets caught along with them even we will be taken to task.

"Don't scare me, mam. This is my first time.

"And that is why other staff put forth your name for this and opted for vacation.

The college was closed for semester holidays and only students who write arrears were present. This was Khushi's second year as lecturer and the first year she was acting as invigilator. Khushi loved her profession and ought to love every aspect of work associate it. Though Sunitha mam's words made the task sound irksome, Khushi didn't let it kill her bubble. However, it is true that four staff approached her before time table was put on to switch their exam duty with her. Everyone had their own story to tell why they needed the two week vacation. So, Khushi ended up taking exam duty for four papers instead of one. Not that Khushi had any plans for vacation this time, so she might as well work.

"Anyways you know the drill, right? asked Sunitha mam

Khushi nodded mentally recollecting what has to be done. Then she with a long sigh entered the class room.

"Good Morning students she said to class half empty class. She heard few mumble their wishes, while others just stared at her as if she was an alien. Ignoring the awkward feeling Khushi asked, "So, no more students going to join us?

No one replied her. So she decided to quit the being friendly' act and began to distribute answer sheets. Khushi with great difficulty was trying to cut open the sealed envelope to get question papers, when she heard a gruff male voice ask her, "Do you want help?

Khushi turned to her left to find a tall man with broad shoulder standing near the door clutching a paper and pen. Man, yes not a boy but a man. Definitely, in his mid twenties. He looked very out of place midst the bunch of kids.

"Excuse me? she said narrowing her eyes.

He walked towards her casually and handed her the paper.

Name : Arnav Singh Raizada

D.O.B : 12.02.1992

Batch : 2010-2013

His basic details were followed by names of four subjects that he supposedly has to write arrears.

"Four papers four years! snickered Khushi insinuating his failure at not clearing the papers even four years of completing his actual graduation year

"Nayy! Eleven papers four years. He said with an unapologetic grin

Before Khushi could react to that, he took the envelope from her hand and easily broke the seal open. "Make it fast, I have places to go. He said handing her the question paper set.

Khushi had special eyes for the queer student (can she even call him that?) Arnav. Sunitha mam warned her about students going to any extend to malpractice and Arnav definitely seemed like a person who would do that. How hard is it to pass all your undergrad papers in four bloody years?