Gentleman

GENTLEMAN

I sat on the couch and leaned back letting my hair cascade over the head post of the couch. "Sweetheart, coffee. I shouted. Two familiar faces popped out of kitchen looking at me curiously. "Coffee. I said gesturing holding a cup and sipping it.

My two best friends rushed towards me excited. Placing my coffee cup in front of me they pulled bean bags and sat in front for me with expectant faces.

"Creeping me out, guys. I said picking the cup and taking a sip letting the hot liquid sooth my throat.

"Details, Khushi, details. Said my best friend Payal wagging her eyebrows naughtily.

"What details? I asked

"Come on, Khushi. said my another best friend Lavanya whacking me. "Whole night with your boyfriend, returning exhausted. What happened?

The questions brought back memories of my boy friend increasing my anger effortlessly.

"Don't you remind me about him. I said gritting my teeth.

"Why? Was he too hard last night? asked Payal giggling.

I sighed angrily as he leaned back on the couch and sat cross legged.

"Duffer. I mumbled

"Khushi... Payal placed her hand on my shoulder. "What happened?

"He irritates me to no end. I cribbed

"What did gentleman Arnav do now? asked Lavanya

"Gentleman, my foot. You know what that is the problem. I said folding my arms and looking at my best friends.

Annik and Lavanya aware of my love stories soon understood what I mean burst into loud laugh.

I met Arnav through Payal. He is Payal's boyfriend Akash's first cousin. It started with a one day trip I made with Payal, Akash, Lavanya and her boyfriend, NK. Arnav had tagged along and we both being only single in trip paved way for lots of teasing. I thought it was only futile attempt to irritate me and maybe a bit of even him. However, I was surprised by the end of the trip to see Arnav asking me out. It was not difficult to be impressed by someone like Arnav. He was tall, handsome, sophisticated and most importantly a gentleman. He was the kind of guy who would pull up a chair for you, open the car door, ask about your day, bring in take outs if you are feeling low, gives you surprises and compliments often. Basically he was dream. So, I didn't think twice before accepting to be his girlfriend.

Trouble started only after Payal asked me to explain my first kiss in three words on one of our girl's night out with just three of us. I shyly confessed I have not had my first kiss yet.

"Khushi, what do you and Arnav do all the time then? It has been three months.

We hold hands. Yes, we do. He caresses my wrist with thumb and all. So, thats absolutely romantic. But, he has never really even tried to kiss me. I didn't give much thought about it before. This was my first serious relationship and I didn't know how things work. That is when my best friends stepped in with advises.

"Khushi, Akash kissed me on our second date. I can't even begin to tell you how good it was. It was in the balcony here amidst mild music, slight drizzle and wine. She said

"And, NK. Added Lavanya her share of the story. "He can never keep his hands of me. That is the reason I stay with him most of the weekends

I was jealous of my best friend's perfect boyfriends. Well, mine is perfect too. It is just that he is too much of a gentleman to come at me. Is he expecting me to make the first move? Geez that is impossible. Too desperate. Worse! Is he waiting for a proper wedding and suhag raat? Damn! How can he have so much self control? I cannot be a saint like him.