Caring Father

Arnav restricted little hands and feet of two year old Ayaan from moving by hugging him closer to him.

"Shh... he whispered in Ayaan's ears, "Maa is sleeping. You shouldn't disturb her. Arnav placed a kiss on Ayaan's cheeks and took him to the bathroom.

Once released from his father's hold and left freely inside the tub, Ayaan started to shake his hands and head vigorously.

"Want mumma. He declared in a stubborn tone splashing water on Arnav and preventing him from nearing the tub.

"Ayaan is a good boy, isn't he? asked Arnav in a patient voice kneeling in front of his son. "See, papa even bought new spider man toy for you to play while bathing.

The new spider man toy which was larger and more colourful than the one already in his collection distracted Ayaan for a while taking advantage of which Arnav bathe his son as quickly as possible before he asks for his mumma.

The most difficult part was washing his face. Arnav has still not learned to use soap without getting it inside Ayaan's eyes, an art only his wife has mastered. As he cannot afford to make his boy cry fighting with soap, Arnav decided to skip washing his face for the day. Hopefully his wife will be alright tomorrow and take care of her ladla beta.

It all started with two scoops of ice cream after being drenched in winter rain. If only he was able to resist Khushi's pleading eyes and pouting lips, she wouldn't have come down with flu. Whole night she was shivering and coughing and just in the morning after two tablets and one injection her temperature has come down a bit, still she is not completely alright. Arnav decided to let her sleep as long as she wants and took the responsibility of his son from when he woke up. He knew handling mumma's boy even for a day was going to tedious task, but Arnav didn't have the heart to disturb his wife.

Standing in front of the widely opened cupboard, father and son duo presented similar picture by placing one hand on the hip and other was scratching their head in confusion.

"What to wear? asked Arnav, though he knows Ayaan will not have a proper answer to it.

"Mumma. Said Ayaan pointing to Khushi's sarees hung on the right end.

Ayaan's crazy mumma has spoiled him with the custom of wearing T-shirt to match her saree or salwar colour and now Ayaan wanted to select something similar to his mumma's saree colour.

"Today you colour coordinate with papa, okay? said Arnav picking a cream coloured turtle neck T shirt for Ayaan and same colour shirt for him.

"Papa... complained Ayaan pulling his T-shirt not knowing how to tell his papa that he didn't like the colour. If only it was his mumma she would have known how much Ayaan hates full arm T-shirts.

The whole family was gathered for breakfast when Arnav reached there with Ayaan.

"Good morning everyone. Greeted Arnav

"Ood Moning. Said Ayaan with a smile and Namaste as taught by his mumma.

"How is Khushi? asked Naani concerned.

"She is better, Naani. Said Arnav taking his place beside Naani. "She is sleeping. I didn't want to disturb her. I will wake her up after breakfast, she got to have some food and meds.

"What will Ayaan have? asked Payal

"Toast? asked Arnav looking at Ayaan unsure

Ayaan who was sitting on the table in front of his father shook his head vehemently.