8. More Witch Than Wolf

AMY'S POV:

It had been a few days since I had escaped Jason's Pack House. I was staying with Violet and Brandon, who were busy retraining me on some of the basic spells. I still got chided every now and again for going that far into his territory.

"So, Rachel officially left when Ethan went crazy, right?" I asked. It had been days since we had last talked about this and I was missing my wolf dramatically.

"We'll discuss this later. Now, I want you to recast a movement spell." Brandon stood in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest. 

I nodded, uttering a few words that sounded like gibberish to me - really Latin - and I moved the vase full of flowers across the room to where Violet was, reading something.

"Good job, A! You're catching up really quickly!" He said, eyes twinkling. He was right, after all. The first time I tried this spell, I moved a vase of tulips and accidentally dropped it on Brandon's head. Violet made some comment about "using a reverse spell" to fix it.

"So, now that I know the basics," I said, tapping my toes together, "can I go over more advanced spell, like reverse ones?"

Violet's eyes popped up from in her book. "'Reverse spells'?! Where did you hear about those?"

"I don't know - you mentioned them one time, and I just thought-"

"Okay, well, sometimes reverse spells are used in small amounts, to like go back and stop you from stubbing your toe. They are illegal, though, in large amounts. For example, what if you went back and saved someone who died, and completely changed history? Or make yourself a dictator?"

I nodded my head. "I guess I understand. Who is stopping anyone from casting one of those spells, though?"

"The Witch Council - a group of highly experienced and older witches and warlocks that make decisions and set laws for the community. They know if we break one because they cast a spell that alerts them if a law is broken."

"So do you guys even have hearings, or if the spell comes back that you broke a law, are you just thrown in jail?"

"We don't have a jail, silly," Violet said. "You are either sentenced to intense labor or have some of your abilities taken away, like casting certain spells."

I nodded again. I guess that it worked better than the werewolf way."

"Who wants pizza?" Brandon said, breaking the serious atmosphere. Violet and I cheered happily. Every time we had a productive day in training, he ordered us all pizza and we made whatever dessert we could think of. 

...

"So, which dessert are you guys in the mood for tonight?" Brandon asked, watching as I licked my fingers clean while he and Violet were still munching on their slices. Being part werewolf, even if I didn't have my wolf, I was still a fast eater and had a big appetite.

I was glad that at least some things hadn't changed.

"How about a chocolate cake? Nothing but chocolate?" Violet suggested, her inner sweet tooth coming out.

Brandon groaned in response. "No, not chocolate. I don't know how you two eat so much. Can we do something lighter?"

"How 'bout a yogurt parfait?" I suggested.

Violet snorted. "'A yogurt parfait'? I thought we were going to be eating a real dessert."

"Don't worry - we'll add chocolate to it." The job of making compromises in this group usually fell on me.

I don't know what they'd do without me.

*insert Sassy hair flip here*

As I waited for the slow pokes to finish their dinner, out of habit, I tried to contact Rachel.

When I noticed her absence, it felt like a chunk had been removed from my heart and soul. I wasn't sure how I was still functioning and not doubled over in excruciating pain.

"So, how can I get Rachel back?" I asked softly, cutting into the fight between Violet and Brandon who were deciding which Witch Sports player was better.

"Oh, A, I don't think we can get your wolf back," Violet said, tucking her hair behind her ear like how she did when she was nervous.

"What?" No Rachel? There was no way I would survive without her. Of course, no witch could understand that.

"Yeah, A. Plus, you're more witch than wolf, anyway." Brandon sat there, finishing his pizza. It was easy for them to say.

Plus, you're more witch than wolf, anyway...

More witch than wolf...

Wolf...

I went to bed early that night, their words rolling in my head.

Was I ever going to get Rachel back?

Thinking it over, I knew that the witches weren't the one to ask - they were no experts on wolves.

I would have to ask a werewolf, but I had been banned from passing back into Jason's territory.

So...

Why not just sneak through again?

...
Hey guys!

I am going to continue to update when I can this week, but definitely at least an update before next weekend.😄

What do you think is going to happen to Amy? Will she get Rachel back?

Don't forget to

Read. Comment. VOTE!

-hexodus :O