21. A Lost Friend

AMY'S POV:

A few weeks had gone by since I had first met Oscar. Everything was on track to go as planned.

The Witch Council's attention on me had started to lessen. I was still under a lot of surveillance, but I didn't have anyone breathing down my back anymore. Well, I mean, besides from Violet and Brandon, who were watching my every move. 

A little while longer, and my plan to leave might be able to go into action. I had been meeting with Oscar every day during lunch while I was at school. We went to the same empty classroom every single day to catch up, to plan, all in secret. 

During class hours, though, Oscar made it clear he despised me. He would ridicule me in the halls, spread rumors, and trip me. Just enough to make it look like he treated me like everyone else, and nothing special.

It was on this particular day that Oscar suggested that we changed it up. 

"People are going to start to question if they notice us sneaking off to the same place every day. And just in case anyone is listening in, they won't be able to."

So, we walked in the back courtyard instead, which is rarely every occupied. Since I had learned a few more spells since I had started at the Witch Academy, Oscar let me cast a Silentium Spell - or one that would make our conversation inaudible to anyone nearby. Of course, there were spells that could easily break it, but with Oscar's extra knowledge and his addition added to my spell, it would be virtually impossible. 

"So, what do we do now?" I asked tentatively. "The Witch Council has lost some of their interest in me, but I'm still under strong surveillance. There's no way I could sneak off to resurrect Rachel or get to the wolves."

"Tonight," Oscar said, wringing his hands with nerves. "I think I have an idea.

"We need to get out of here, but then we'd be clan-less witches, making us seen as an enemy. You'd be able to get onto Jason's territory, but... some of the things aren't going to work. I think that we need to wait. I know that it's going to be risky no matter what we do, but this is too much. Even escaping successfully would put us in an extremely perilous situation."

I nodded, my head dropping. All this planning and we were still going to need extra time. Time that was going to be hard to get. I had gotten more letters from Moros. I shivered at the mere thought. The threats had started getting worse. I hadn't told Oscar, and I wasn't planning on doing that anytime soon.

"Unless..." Oscar chewed his lip, his mind reeling. "What if... it might just work..."

"What?" I asked. I was getting tired of dead ends. If we had a plan, it needed to be created now. I needed Rachel back, and I needed to solve the Moros problem.

"There is a way we could get Rachel back to you, and you out of this whole situation... it just requires a lot of things to go in our favor.

"If we get some of my buddies involved, they can cast a jumble of advanced spells on the locks and safety features in your room, which would confuse them, causing them to glitch. We'd only have a second, but you could get out. If it doesn't work, they have no evidence directly leading back to you to get you in trouble with."

"Let's say I get out, then what? I go invisible?"

"No, these are witches we are talking about. You can't use tricks on that on them like you can wolves. So, we'll cast some advanced hiding spells. It's different from you going invisible, because it will be harder to break coming from multiple people, and it can't be detected as easily because you aren't casting it yourself.