28. The Truth

BEFORE A LOST HER MEMORIES:

"You can't do this!" I yelled, fighting against them as I was dragged down a hallway. "I thought that by going with you guys that you would actually help me! That it would be a better alternative than waging war between witches and wolves! I was wrong."

The council member clicked their tongue. "A, I thought that you were smarter than this. Don't you know that a war is inevitable? It would have happened at some point."

"You destroyed my life! I wasn't a threat - you were! You took away my mate, my family, my pack!"

"Save it," sneered Violet. "You act like you're the innocent one. You decided to go with us. You decided to spend time away from your mate, your pack. You decided to treat others like they were below you. Trust me, you brought this upon yourself."

I couldn't believe her. She and her friends had taunted me at the school, jealous of my ability to quickly pick up the information. She didn't understand what it was like to lose her family, her friends, her entire community.

Rachel growled, knowing that something was off. Beyond that fact that we were basically being taken into custody. She felt that there was a threat against her, and while she tried to thrash and break free, the spells that we were bound with were too strong.

The council member shook his head."Your wolf side is hurting you. A, you could be a powerful witch. You could end this war before it happens if you chose to. The witches would be victorious with the wolves beneath them in a matter of seconds. You need to learn that the wolves are irrelevant - they ruled for the last hundred years, but their reign is over. 

"And with the end of them, begins the end of your wolf."

I cried out suddenly, "No, no, no, you can't take Rachel - you can't!"

"Ahh," he sighed, shaking his head. "It is truly sad how corrupted you have become by your wolf. Strap her down."

I bit my lip, knowing that anyone who would be able to hear me wouldn't help. I stayed silent, focusing my energy on trying to break free. At the moment, that wasn't working. Brandon, someone who I had seen around the Witch school but rarely talked to, and Violet began strapping me to a chair with metal bands to hold me in place.

"You are going to pay. If you say that I have the power to change how this war goes, then I am useful to you. You can't afford to wipe me out."

The council member got a wicked look on his face. "It's your soul that holds the power - not who you are. It makes me sad to say this, after all of the work that went into teaching you, but I guess we'll just have to hit the reset button.

"Say your final goodbyes to your wolf. And your memories."

Violet worked with the warlock as they began working on executing the spell that was powerful enough to both remove my wolf and wipe my memories of the witches clean. I didn't stop struggling, however, which didn't go unnoticed by Brandon.

I had never really talked to Brandon before, so you could understand my shock at what would cause him to be an accomplice in this scheme. Looking back, though, I shouldn't have been as surprised. He was a full-blooded witch, after all.

"A," he said softly, knowing that the other witches were occupied with what they were doing. I think that they also knew that I would never remember what he told me, so it wouldn't matter. "They are going to manipulate your memories..."

I gave him an incredulous look. "What?"

He shook his head, putting his finger to his lips as he shot them a glance. "As a hybrid, this spell is bound to only be temporary before you do regain all of these memories. They are probably going to plant information in that makes you look bad - that will make it seem like you tried to hurt the pack, or that you were mean - these will come in flashbacks, and whatever you do, don't listen."