26. Extermination

AMY'S POV:

Kelly hadn't woken up as soon as we had hoped, and I was starting to worry. Evelyn assured me that it was probably only a concussion and that we would get her medical attention as soon as this whole ordeal was over.

This conflict wasn't going to end overnight, though. I bit my lip in worry. 

Evelyn and I had split up the work - I looked for a spell that could get us out of here, while she looked for a spell or potion that could help Kelly. I never thought I'd see the day when I would be working alongside her.

I still wasn't sure whether to believe that she had not gotten involved with Jason. I mean, she looked like she didn't even know what I was talking about at first, but the pain that I experienced doesn't lie.

Suddenly, just as I was skimming through an old spellbook, my vision started to spin. My legs got wobbly and heavy, as my body lost balance and made it's descent to the ground.

"A, oh my goddess, are you al-"

My vision spiraled out of control before everything went black.

...

I woke up to a pounding head and aching body. The last thing I remembered was fainting. 

Wait! I scrunched my eyebrows. While I was out, I had heard a message ringing through my mind:

"Alert! Any witches that are in the Silver Crescent Territory must evacuate IMMEDIATELY! The council has decided that the pack will be exterminated for their actions against our witches. Please leave the territory immediately!"

Evelyn came around the corner, watching me as I laid on the makeshift bed on the floor. She bit her lip, staring off into space right above where I was. I could only imagine what she was going through. Her entire life had been torn apart in the matter of a few short years, completely spiraling out of control.

When she noticed me trying to sit up, she rushed over immediately. "Oh, A, are you okay?" she asked, pulling me up by my tattooed arms. "I saw you faint, and, I didn't know what was going on, and... what happened?"

"I got a message... one sent from the Witch Council."

Evelyn went silent for a second. "And?"

"Evelyn, it's bad..."

"Just tell me," she insisted.

"They plan on exterminating the entire pack and want all of the witches to evacuate immediately."

Her face paled and eyes widened. "What are we going to do?! We can't go out there-"

"-Because they'll hunt us down immediately, but if we stay in here, we get killed. I know."

"How are they going to exterminate everyone? Maybe there is a way we can get out? Maybe..."

"I don't know. That wasn't explained. It wasn't in the message." I ran my hand through my hair. What were we going to do?

"Then let's escape! We'll run over the border and get out of here?"

"Evelyn, even if we do make it past the wolves that hunting for us, the witches will know that we crossed the border. They won't hesitate to kill you, or Kelly, for that matter. Knowing them, they aren't going to let anyone slip by. Especially not now."

"We can't just stay here-"

"As long as it is nothing airborne, we should be fine, at least for now. We are safe from the wolves for right now, the witches aren't going to come over here, not when they have an entire pack of wolves to worry about. This isn't a permanent solution, but it's the best that we've got for the moment. You've got to trust me on this one. In the meantime, we need to find a way to wake Kelly up, and fix everything. From everything that has happened, getting Rachel back is only part of the solution."