9. Prison Life

AMY'S POV:

It was dark when I headed out. One advantage of spending so much time around Violet and Brandon was that I had been able to memorize their schedules. Both were off in their rooms by 9:30 PM at the latest. How long they stayed up, I wasn't entirely sure, but as long as I was quiet, I knew I had a fairly good chance of slipping by unnoticed.

I had wrapped myself in the thickest jacket I could find, hoping it would somehow hide my scent. I knew that I had been able to do it when I was a wanted wolf, so why not now?

My plan was fairly straightforward - talk to an actual werewolf to see if there was any way I could get my wolf back.

It wasn't as simple as just walking into the Pack House and asking Jason how to get Rachel back. After all, he was the reason she was gone and why I was sneaking around at this late of an hour.

The trees flew by me as I rushed through the woods, remaining in human form. Yes, looking out the window, it may look suspicious to see a teenage girl running through the woods at the dead of night, but I knew they would know that a werewolf was passing the border if I shifted. And honestly, that was the last thing that I needed.

Trying to be as inconspicuous as I could, I kept my head down, staying close to the trees. Finally, I saw it.

From a distance sat the Pack House, and in the basement - the Pack Prison. I knew that the only person I would be able to get the answers I needed from were from Evelyn. She also remembered more spells than me, being in Martha's House all the time and what not.

I was hoping that even without Rachel, I would be able to make my scent faint and undetectable. I was banking on it. And as I approached the Pack House, noticing the guards outside the doors, I knew this was going to be a lot harder than originally anticipated.

Back two years ago when I first came here, there were no guards posted in front. Being werewolves, they could scent an intruder the minute they entered the Pack Territory. They would be prepared in an instance. This showed just how paranoid Jason was getting.

It was two scrawny teenagers - a few years older than me at most - that was holding the post out in front of the Pack House. They appeared bored and unvigilant - most likely due to the fact that they had been forced to stay out here all day.

"I can't believe Alpha is making us stay through the night," the one closest to the door said, kicking a stone that lay on the path in front of him. I hid further in the shadows, praying for a miracle, like what happened last time, to occur and hide me from plain sight once more.

"I mean seriously, how stupid does he think Leader A is? She isn't going to keep coming back," the other one responded, picking at his teeth. "With a paranoid Alpha, you never know."

They continued with their banter as I slipped by. Based on the fact that they hadn't spotted me or scented me, I knew so far that I was in the clear. So far, if anyone was to be caught tonight, it would be them talking trash about their leader.

I walked further into the Pack House, trying to remember exactly which way was to the basement in the dark. Normally, I would've been able to see just fine, but with the loss of Rachel, it was starting to give me more of a human's abilities.

I finally stumbled upon the stairs to the basement and no one else. Holding my breath, I prayed to the Moon Goddess that Evelyn would be exactly where I thought she was.

The smell radiating from the cells was putrid. I gagged, wondering if Jason ever cleaned the cells. Probably before he did, but now, definitely not.

Coming to the end of a long line of cells that didn't hold anyone except for a few unruly rats, I finally found Evelyn, curled up in the corner of her cell.

"Evelyn, Evelyn, E-" I spoke softly, rattling the bars slightly in hopes of waking her up and no one else.

"Wh-Leader A?!" She asked groggily, sitting up at the sight of me. "What are you doing here?"

"I have a question that only a wolf can answer -" I stopped short, ears perking up at what I thought could have been footsteps descending into where we stood. Coast was clear. "-and you're the only one I can talk to."

Evelyn sat there, deep in thought for a moment, before pursing her lips and providing me with a response. "You want me - an ordinary werewolf with no high rank or vast knowledge whatsoever - to help you get your wolf back? Leader A, is this some kind of prank?"

"You already risked your life to smuggle me into the Pack House once, I know I can trust you." I stared her dead in the eye, not blinking. I wanted her to know I wasn't going to trap her.

Yeah, I never imagined asking her for anything. I had only ever seen her as a threat, an enemy, but now - now she was my only hope.

That was unless I asked Jason. But who knows what he'd do to me.

"Well... I don't know anything about losing a wolf. I did, though, see some spells on reviving things when I was in Martha's House. It was in a locked black chest, in the corner.... I'm pretty sure it was Dark Magic - but then again, I'm no witch."

Dark Magic - it was the kind that Violet and Brandon had warned me about. The kind that was illegal and could only be used for bad, or so I had been told. Dark Magic had been used by a number of witches and warlocks and all received tragic fates.

"You can show me if I let you, right?" I asked, clutching the silver bars tightly. Being completely immune to silver did have its advantages as a hybrid.

"You'll let me go? Even though I almost got you caught?" Evelyn asked eyebrows scrunched together. "But you can hide your scent and go invisible. The only one that can find you are highly skilled witches and Jason with the mate pull. Why would you need me?"

"I need a wolf's nose to smell things out," I said. My senses had started degrading since Rachel's absence. "I know she isn't dead, she can't be." My voice broke off at the end and I willed myself not to cry. We were so close. I was going to get her back. They were wrong - I was more wolf than witch, and it was going to forever stay that way.

"Okay, well..." Evelyn started before she was cut off abruptly.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

Those were the sound the heavy boots made as they came down the stairs into the Pack Prison and around the corner to find us...

...

Hey guys!

As promised, an update during the week!

I have a lot going on tomorrow and Saturday, so you might be getting an update at Sunday at the earliest, Wednesday next week at the latest.

Finally this story is moving along and speeding up.

So, do you guys like where it's going?

What do you think is going to happen next?

I am open to taking any suggestions you might have!

Adios!

Don't forget to

READ. COMMENT. VOTE!

-hexodus :P