Chapter 12: Dreaming

Amber

"Sista!" Kamen yelled as she ran over to me. I picked her up and she wrapped her legs and arms around me. The tears stared to spill from my eyes as I held her tightly.

We separated the hug a little and I kissed her all over her face. "I missed you so much baby"

"I miss you too" she said tightly holding on to me.

"Amba' imma go ta da car" August said and I turned to face him

"You sure?" I asked him and he nodded at me and started to walk away until I stopped him "Wait August..."

He stopped in his tracks and looked at me

"Thank you"

He smiled at me before he continued walking to his car. I turned around and looked at the woman that Kamen lived with and realized she was watching August walk away with a smirk on her face.

"I'm Amber" I spoke snapping her out of her thoughts

"Martha, you can come in if you want"

I gave her a fake smile then simply rolled my eyes and put Kamen down and she gave me a small tour around the house she was staying at. It seemed like a pretty good environment, I mean any environment is better then a car, but I just really wish she was with me.

"So you ok" I asked as we sat on her bed and played with her toys "Are they nice to you here"

"Yeah"

Something felt weird and I didn't known what. Kamen was usually a very talkative little girl and these one word answers wasn't like her.

"You know you could tell me anything right kay"

"Mhmm" she mumbled playing with the doll in her hand. "I wanna come with you"

"I know, I want you to come with me too, but not yet ok. I'm tryna find a job and then I can get us our own place to stay"

She put her head down "ok"

"I love you Kay"

"I love you too"

"How much?"

She looked up at me not able to hide her smile, then she opened her arms wide "dis much!"

We both laughed as a tickled her. This is the happiest I ever been in a while and it feels really good and August is to thank for that

"Look what I got"I took out the phone that August had given me and showed Kamen and her mouth fell open

"You have a phone!"

"Mhmm and I'm going to call you every single day ok"

She nodded and got exited while taking the phone out of my hand and started to play with it. I sat there and admired her for a little while and we talked more until it was time for me to go.

"Imma see you in a couple days ok"

She looked up at me with sad eyes "you leavin'"

I nodded "yeah I have to go"

I didn't want to have August waiting to long so a couple minutes later I said my good byes and began to walk to his car.

"We'll take good care of her"

I stopped in my tracks and turned around. "Im sorry I didn't help but hear you say we?"

"Yeah me and my husband" she smirked at me I nodded my head

"She won't be here long" I responded and made my way to August's car and got in.

"You aight" he asked me and I nodded my head looking over at him