Chapter 16: Secrets Out

Amber

My eyes slowly opened trying to adjust to the bright light. I looked around the room and realized I was laying in a hospital bed with August to the left of me. His eyes were closed which made me believe he was asleep, but when I moved a little his eyes quickly opened.

"Amba'" he stood up and grabbed my hand "how you feel in'"

I nodded my head trying to sit up a little bit. "I'm ok"

"What da fuck were you thinkin'... you scared da shit outta me"

"What happened?"

"Da docta' said dat da combination of da drugs and alcohol in ya system could have killed you. Wanna explain ta me why you was takin' pa'scription medication."

I signed and put my head down feeling really stupid.

"What da hell was you doin' takin' dat shit"

Tears started to roll down my face, I can never get a break from crying, "I swear August I didn't do it on purpose... I didn't want to die"

"How many you take?"

I looked up at him feeling ashamed, "three"

"Why would you drink all da liquor knowing you took dem pills"

"I thought I was going straight to bed after, but then you said we were going out"

He rubbed his hand down his face "Why didn't you just talk ta me"

"I didn't know how... and i don't want to put all my problems on you"

"Amba' you really needa stop saying dat shit, I don't give a fuck bout how much you got goin' on , dats not gonna stop me from listenin'."

I sat there looking straight ahead "it's hard" I managed to get out below a whisper

"What?"

"It's so hard!" I screamed letting out all of my pain "Dealing with all this shit is fucking hard!"

My breathing started to get heavy and the monitors started to go off.

"You need ta calm down" August said rubbing my arm

I closed my eyes and sat my head back trying to breath normally. All this stress is really weighing on me and it is starting to effect my health.

"I'm sorry"

"I know- I'm tryna help you, but you got ta understand that I can't do it if ya not lettin' me in"

"You can't help me August... you don't know anything about me and I can't even help myself or Kamen"

"That's when you need it da most"

I nodded my head and looked straight ahead at the tv playing on the wall not wanting to talk anymore, "k"

August let go of my hand slowly and rubbed his thumb across my cheek removing the tear streaks.

Our eyes connected and I could see how much he generally cared about me. I never felt this much love from anybody but Kamen since my parents died. This was something new to me and I didn't necessarily know how to handle it.

His face moved closer to mine and are lips connected for the first time. They moved in sync for what felt like forever until we pulled apart

"What was that for" I asked

He held my face and our eyes never lost contact "to let you know I'm really here for you" he said and sat down in the chair

A nurse walked through the door with a smile on her face, "hello Amber, how you feelin'"