Chapter 28: Try

Amber

I sat in my car staring at the house Kamen was in. I knew I wasn't suppose to be here, but Kamen won't answer my calls at all, and I can't help but to constantly worry about her.

For what felt like the hundredth time, I picked up my cell phone and dialed the number. It started to ring and then took me voicemail once again. Shaking my head, I put the phone down and looked back at the house.

I took a deep breath before stepping out the car and walking across the street, and up to the front door. I raised my hand and knocked on it a few times and I wasn't leaving until someone answered.

Seconds later, I heard the locks click and the door swung open revealing Martha.

"Your not suppose to be here" she said leaving the door cracked so I could only see her.

"I just need to see her"

She signed, "I can't break the rules... Im sorry"

I stared at her squinting my eyes noticing I bruise on her lip.

"What happened?"

"It's non of your business"

"It sure is my business if my sister is living in this house... is he hitting on my her too!" I asked trying to stay as calm as possible.

"I think you need to leave before I call Vivian"

"Please call Vivian, she won't answer my calls anyway... let her know I need to talk to her"

"I'll make sure I do that" she nodded before shutting the door in my face.

Something told me to just bust the door down, take Kamen, and deal with whatever consequences later, but instead I walked back to my car feeling defeated. I sat their staring into space. I could feel a tear start to stroll down my face and I began to hit the steering wheel harder and harder until I was out of energy.

I gripped it tight while laying my forehead on the top, crying. Wondering when this pain is going to end. I wondered when I would be happy again. It's like for every 2 steps forward I take 10 steps back.

I was tired of going backward in life but it just turned into a habit at this point, and now I was about to go back even farther.

As I pulled off I could feel my head spinning and I didn't feel like myself any more. It was like I had no more control over my life.

I pulled into the store parking lot and parked the car. The lump in my throat continued to get larger and larger while I tapped my finger on the steering wheel trying to convince myself to just go home. But I didn't. I got out of the car and proceeded to the back where the pharmacy was.

"Hi how can I help you" The lady smiled from behind the counter.

"Um can you check if I still have a refill for this prescription" I said showing her the paper I pulled out of my purse and she looked it over.

"Imma check for you ok" she said walking to the back and I nodded

A couple minutes later, she returned with the paper and a pill bottle in her hand.

"Let me ring you up"

"Thank you"

After I finished paying, I walked out the store and got back in the car. I took a deep breath trying to get my thoughts together. Talking the bottle out of the bag , I observed it not knowing my next step.

There was a knock on my window scaring me half to death. I quickly tried to hide the pill bottle behind me. When I looked up I saw the same dude from the restaurant. He waved then motioned for me to roll the window down and I sighed.