12. A Visit

Professor McGonagall led Harry down the hall towards Dumbledore's office. A myriad of emotions flitted through Harry's mind: sorrow at the loss of a great man, anger at the betrayal from a supposedly trusted comrade, and curiosity at what Dumbledore's portrait had to say.

"Seeking Snitches," Professor McGonagall said to the gargoyle at the entrance. They moved into the stairway and up to the Headmistress's office. Many of Dumbledore's things were gone. The office was neat and tidy. He saw the former Headmasters on the walls, watching their arrival. The portrait behind the desk was blank. McGonagall went up to the portrait and rapped on the frame.

"Albus? Where are you?"

Harry watched as Professor Dumbledore appeared in the portrait. He looked healthy and happy. He even seemed to have a twinkle in his eye.

"Ah, Minervra! I was just visiting some old friends. Is it time for our meeting already?"

"No, Albus. Mr. Potter is here to see you."

Dumbledore looked over to where Harry was standing.

"Harry! Come in!" Dumbledore waved his wand and looked a little confused. He cleared his throat. "Minervra, if you would be so kind as to get Harry a chair...Ah, thank-you."

Harry sat down in the chair looking up at his old Headmaster. He didn't know what to say or what to think. His thoughts were in turmoil. Professor McGonagall left and quietly closed the door behind her. Dumbledore looked down at Harry, studying him.

"Hello, Harry," he said gently.

Harry swallowed and nodded. "Sir," he said.

"Well, I am glad to see you, and you seem to look fairly well. How are things?"

Harry just stared at him.

How are things?

He wasn't expecting that. He expected words of wisdom, information maybe, but not 'How are things?' like nothing of importance had happened, and they were having a chat like visiting friends.

Dumbledore was looking at him expectantly, and Harry looked around bewildered. What was he supposed to say? 'Fine sir, the Death Eaters are growing in numbers and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop them since the only one they were afraid of is dead. Oh, and by the way, Bill and Fleur had a lovely wedding, sorry you missed it.' He finally just shook his head. He didn't trust his voice.

"I see," said Dumbledore sitting back and sighing. "Harry, let me say I'm sorry to have put you through this. If there was any other way..."

"Why did you do it?" Harry blurted out, "You could have stopped them. This didn't have to happen. You didn't have to die," he choked as he got up and began to pace.

"Harry," Dumbledore said gently.

"What?" Harry said sharply, turning to look at him. Dumbledore smiled sadly.

"I was already dying, Harry. The potion I drank was attacking me from the inside. I could feel it. I was no longer capable of heal myself."

"You could have got help."

"No, Harry. It was too late. The only thing I could do was save you, and Draco."

"Draco?" He spat. "Draco wanted to kill you!"

"No he didn't, Harry. If he did, he would have done so right away instead of talking to me, and having quite a long conversation I might add," Dumbledore sighed. "I knew the predicament he was in. He had no choice Harry, his family was in danger. If it wasn't for the Unbreakable Vow with Severus—"