30. The Return of Albion

Harry figured that they had been walking for at least half an hour, and despite the lack of wind, he was chilled to the bone. When he had asked Luisa where they were going, she had silently pointed to the jagged mountain in front of them. Harry sighed as he trudged after her. He could appreciate the need for security, but for once he wished they could just Apparate to their destination. Harry was so focused on his musings that he almost ran into Luisa when she stopped at the base of a sheer wall of rock.

"We are here," she said as she smiled.

Harry looked up at the rock face in front of him. He couldn't see any way in. He turned to look at her quizzically. Luisa just smiled again and stepped sideways before sliding into the opening camouflaged in the wall. Surprised, Harry followed. They walked along a thin trail until they came to another opening. When Harry emerged, he was shocked. Before him was a flourishing green valley. In the distance, he could see phoenix flying through the lush green trees. He could hear a waterfall off in the distance, and see a small lake below him. It was a paradise. Harry was perplexed; there wasn't a drop of snow anywhere.

"How?" he asked.

Luisa grinned at him. "You really have to ask?" she said.

"I really do love magic," Harry laughed as he looked around.

They moved down into an open meadow, where Harry found a table and chairs waiting for them. Pumpkin juice and treacle tarts appeared as he sat down. He ate and drank, grateful for the refreshments.

"You can call Fawkes now, Harry," Luisa said as she perched in the chair beside him.

Harry took out the whistle, wondering how Fawkes would know the whistle was for him only. He took a deep breath and blew into the whistle. Instead of the piercing sound he was expecting, he heard the distinct sound of a phoenix song. He looked at the whistle in surprise.

"That sounded just like Fawkes," he said in amazement.

Luisa frowned at him.

"Of course it does, who else would it sound like? He created the whistle for Dumbledore."

Harry nodded in understanding and looked up, searching for the fiery bird. After a few moments, Harry could hear an answering phoenix cry in the distance. He closed his eyes as he let the song wash over him, making him feel content. He had missed that sound.

He opened his eyes when he heard the scratch of claws on the table in front of him. Sitting there, with his head cocked to one side, was the strongest reminder Harry ever felt for Dumbledore.

"Hello Fawkes," he said as he swallowed past the lump in his throat. "I've missed you."

Fawkes bobbed his head once, and Harry leaned forward to stroke the gentle bird. Harry sat like that for a few moments, just enjoying Fawkes' company.

"I suppose you know why I've come," Harry said after a moment.

Fawkes blinked slowly and ruffled his feathers.

"We need you to come back, Fawkes, to re-establish the Order. Voldemort is causing all sorts of problems and innocent people are getting killed. The Order has fallen apart since...since, you know, his death, and...they need you to choose a new leader."

Fawkes trilled sadly and shook his head. He warbled a few notes at Harry and then cocked his head, as though asking for understanding. Harry turned and looked to Luisa.

"He says he can't return. His time has past," she replied.

Harry turned back to look at the bird.

"I don't understand. Why would Dumbledore make me come here if you can't help us?"

Fawkes chirped, bobbed twice and took flight, heading back the way he came. Harry watched him for a moment; panic setting in as he rapidly disappeared.