19. Meeting the Past

We've got Defense Against the Dark Arts after lunch," Ron said between mouthfuls. "I wonder what we'll start with?"

"Well at least we won't be subjected to the Unforgivable Curses this year," murmured Hermione.

"What I want to see," commented Harry "Is a way to fight them. There has to be something we can do or use to stop them."

"There isn't anything Harry. That's why they're are so unforgivable," Ron replied

"But if I am able to fight off the Imperius Curse and I survived the killing curse, why not the Cruciatus too? There has to be something,"" Harry said more to himself than to his friends.

"Well, the nice thing is I can get into the restricted section now, perhaps I could find something there," Hermione said.

"Don't you thing someone would have thought about that by now?" Ron asked. "I mean, they don't call them unforgivable because apologizing will make it all better, they are called unforgivable because there isn't any known counter spell."

Hermione turned and glared at him. "Really Ron, do you seriously think someone has researched all of those books?"

"You mean you haven't?" Ron snorted.

"Madam Pince doesn't even know how many books are in the library." She packed up the books she was reading and stood up in a huff.

"You may have given up on this whole thing but I haven't," she said as she left.

"Wait! I didn't...Harry! How dare she!" Ron turned to Harry looking at him worriedly, the events from Godric's Hollow still fresh in his mind. "You know I'm behind you, mate!"

Harry smiled at him. "I know. Don't worry about Hermione."

"She's always blowing a fuse these days. She is mental, you know that?" Ron muttered.

"Yeah, but in a good way," Harry said as he picked up his books.

Professor Lupin was waiting for them as they entered the classroom. Harry was glad to see him back in front of the class. After learning so much from him these past few weeks, he thought Lupin was a great teacher.

"Good afternoon, class," Lupin said as they settled into their seats. "We have much to learn this year, so we are going to begin right away. I have been reviewing some of your work from last year, and I have decided that we are going to start with non-verbal magic review. I want you to work with a partner and practice calling an object to you."

Harry figured that Tonks and Lupin must have been planning their classes together. Everyone in the class partnered up and Harry worked with Hermione, taking turns calling the book back and forth.

"Excellent!" called Lupin as he walked around. "Now try moving further apart, and then try calling hidden objects."

Harry had always struggled with this aspect, but the lessons with Lupin seemed to make it easier. He noticed with pride that most of the DA members were able to perform the spell as well; although Neville's face was screwed up so tightly that Harry wondered if he was breathing.

Once Lupin was satisfied with their progress they began to work on shielding charms. Harry looked around, watching them as a teacher would, and felt a sense of pride to see how well his DA students were doing. They wouldn't have to dwell on reviews before getting down to the nitty-gritty of learning how to defeat the Death Eaters. Harry began to mentally create some lessons in his mind as the class continued. He was packing up his books at the end of class when Lupin came over to his desk.

"You've taught them well, Harry," he said quietly.

"Thanks," Harry said with a sense of pride. "But I did have some help."