33. The Attacks Begin

The next few weeks passed in a whirlwind for Harry. He was getting used to his role in the Order, with Lupin's support, and all of the members of the D.A. had been invited to join. Mrs. Weasley didn't know about the younger Order members, including Ginny, but they kept the youngest Weasley and the others in the loop by discussing the meetings with them. Ron and Hermione were being civilized to Harry, and during the D.A. training times, to anyone watching, it seemed like there wasn't a gap between the three of them. Harry had what he wanted; he was alone. Some days, it suited him just fine. He spent much of his spare time in between classes creating lessons for the D.A. and looking up any new spells that he could throw at Moody.

Most of the time, though Harry wouldn't admit it out loud, he was lonely. He missed both of his friends, especially Hermione. True, she would sit near him during meals, and they had civil discussions, but there was one piece of her that she kept from Harry, and as much as he tried to deny it, he wanted all of her.

It was one of those days, when he was feeling sorry for himself that Moody ended up putting him in the hospital. He flinched as he awoke to find the blurry figure of Moody standing over him.

"You're dead, Potter, you do know that?" he growled.

"Being dead sure hurts like hell," Harry said through gritted teeth. He figured from the pain he was in that he had several broken ribs, and his arm felt like it was on fire.

"I don't know what the hell has gotten into you, but you had better fix it right now. I will not waste my time on a namby-pamby little boy who doesn't have his head on straight. So what ever it is that's bugging you, deal with it, before I really hurt you."

Moody stomped out of the infirmary, each thump of his peg leg sounding like an accusation. Harry watched him go, and then looked up at Madame Pomfrey. She frowned at him, and he had the good grace to look sheepish before downing the medication she handed him. He slid back down the bed and closed his eyes, pulling the blanket over his head like a punished child trying to hide from the world.

When he awoke later that day he was feeling much better. He was once again amazed at the artistic talent Madame Pomfrey had when it came to repairing the human body. As he turned and reached for his glasses, he was surprised to see Lupin sitting beside him, looking a little worse for wear. He felt a slight twinge of disappointment that Ron and Hermione weren't here.

"Looks like you've had a worse day than I have," Harry said, as he sat up and looked around for his clothes.

Lupin shrugged. "Full moon," he replied, and Harry nodded in understanding, as he got dressed.

Both of them were silent as they left the infirmary. They headed down the stairs to the Great Hall where they ran into a disheveled Ginny coming the other way. Harry watched with concern as she came up the stairs. He could clearly see the tear streaks and red puffy eyes as she came closer. He grabbed her arm as she moved to go past him.

"Ginny! Are you all right? What's happened?" he asked, fearing the worst.

She started in surprise as she became aware of where she was, and glanced between Harry and Lupin.

"I'm fine, Harry," she said, pulling her arm from his grasp. "I just...I have something I need to do."

She disappeared up the stairs.

As Harry turned towards the stairs again he caught sight of Ron and Hermione heading for the Great Hall. Ron had his arm around Hermione's shoulder and she was leaning against him. The great beast roared to life in Harry's chest and no matter how hard he tried to ignore it, or shut it away, the pain increased as he watched them disappear. He absentmindedly rubbed his chest; angry with himself for allowing his emotions to affect him like this. Did this mean that Ron had taken up with Hermione again? Harry knew that Ron was very protective of her, and he had been going out with her first. Either way, it wasn't right that they show their affection for each other in public like this.