13. Roommates and Revelations

Harry, Hermione and Ron couldn't wait to see their new sleeping quarters, so Professor McGonagall led them up to the Gryffindor tower. They were surprised though, when she turned to the right as they got to the portrait of the Fat Lady. They went a little further down and stopped in front of a painting of a very distinguished looking older gentleman.

"Sir Edward, I would like to introduce the new Head Girl and Head Boy for this school year. This is Miss Hermione Granger and Mr. Harry Potter."

He nodded regally to each of them.

"And this is Mr. Ronald Weasley, Gryffindor's Prefect. The three of them will be bunking together in the Head dorm this year."

"Weasley eh? Had one of those a few years ago," Sir Edmund muttered eyeing him closely. "Well, I'm sorry Headmistress," he sniffed haughtily, "There is only room for one in each section. Boys and girls are not allowed to bunk together. You know the rules."

Professor McGonagall smiled at him through tight lips.

"I see," she sighed, and started to turn away. "I guess Sir Cadogan was right. It would be too big of a job for you. Come along, you three."

"What! Wait! What did that pompous fool say?" Sir Edward yelled.

Harry caught the twinkle in her eye before she turned around.

"He merely stated that you were getting along in your years and would find it difficult to create a room for three. I fully understand. We can make other arrangements, I'm sure."

"Getting along!" he spluttered, "I'll have you know that I am twice the man he is! Just you stay right there!" He stormed out of the picture and disappeared.

"Professor, did Sir Cadogan really say that?" asked Ron.

Professor McGonagall just smiled. "Sometimes, Mr. Weasley, to get what you want, you need to know how to ask."

Sir Edward came back, still muttering under his breath. He sat back down, resumed his air of dignity and cleared his throat.

"On behalf of the Gryffindor house I would like to congratulate the both of you for being selected as House Boy and Girl. And you young sir, I welcome as their confidante. The password for your quarters is 'Lion's courage'."

As he said this, his portrait swung open.

"I'll leave you to explore your new quarters. I will be meeting with Professor Lupin and Professor Tonks if you need me," Professor McGonagall said as she left.

They walked in and found themselves in a smaller version of the main common room. There was a small fire in the grate and a big comfy couch and an overstuffed chair facing it. Beside the fireplace on the right there was a table with three chairs. There were several bookshelves around the walls, four doors and another hallway.

Ron went to the right and opened the first, door, which led to a bathroom.

"Wicked!" he said, "We don't have to use the dorm washroom. We have our own!"

"I don't know Ron, I kind of liked the Prefects washroom," grinned Harry.

Ron went and looked in the next room, which was a bedroom. Inside was a bed with a big comfy quilt with the Gryffindor colors, a small desk and a chair, a closet and a bookshelf. Ron went and flopped on the bed. Hermione and Harry went and looked in the other two rooms. Harry thought that it would be nice to be able to have a room for himself.

"Which one do you want, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"It doesn't really matter, the one on the left I guess," replied Harry.