24. Elegant Evil

The next morning when Harry got up he found Hermione hunched over a stack of books at the table. He walked up behind her and began to massage the knots out of her shoulders.

Hermione sat back and closed her eyes. She was enjoying this newfound relationship with Harry. It felt good to have him care about her so much.

"Mmm, that feels good, Harry," she sighed.

"Good morning," Harry said, as he nuzzled her neck. "Anything of interest in those books?" He asked as he continued his ministrations.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked down at the book in front of her.

"Nothing much. I've found some interesting spells from the Auror training books, and I was just about to see if I could find anything on the four founders of Hogwarts. We still haven't found anything from Ravenclaw. Oh, and I've found a safe house for our emergency Portkey. It's near Grimmauld Place."

Harry chuckled as she detailed her findings.

"What's so funny?" Hermione asked as she turned in her chair to look at him.

"I would be interested to see what you consider 'much' if this was 'nothing much'," Harry said as he sat in the chair next to her.

"Well, I figured that since I've finished all of my assignments for this term and made up all of the schedules for the next two months of patrol, I would try and see if I could...mphf!"

Harry couldn't help it, he kissed her. He smiled when he felt her responding to him. He pulled away from her and looked her in the eyes.

"You work too much," he said as he pulled her from the table and led her over to the couch.

Hermione grabbed Hogwarts: A Complete History as she was dragged away from the table. Laughing, she fell on to Harry's lap and he wrapped his arms around her waist. Harry treasured these quiet moments with Hermione. They filled him with... contentment? Love? He wasn't sure really. He just knew that he enjoyed every minute with her. The thought of losing her...He hugged her closer and breathed in the scent that was all Hermione as his mind flashed back to the scene in Hogsmeade yesterday. It scared him to think that he almost lost her. The fear of living his life without her seemed to stab at his heart, making it hard to breathe. He buried his face in her hair, wishing that he could figure out a way to keep her safe.

"What's on your mind?" Hermione asked absentmindedly.

"I just want you to be safe," Harry said. "Next time we go out, stay with me, okay?"

Hermione looked at him and frowned. "Are you saying that I can't take care of myself? Because if you are, then that's a big contradiction to what you said the other night about me being stronger than I think."

"No, it's just—"

"Harry, just because we are seeing each other, it doesn't mean you can fight all my battles for me."

"But—"

"No buts Harry. I want this to be an equal relationship."

"But, that's twice now you've been caught unaware. I just figure you need some protection."

The minute he saw the hurt in her eyes and felt the way she stiffened against him, he knew it was the wrong thing to say. He mentally kicked himself. Hermione placed her book on the sofa, got up, and turned to look at him.

"Then I guess my earlier assessment about my reaction to Dolohov was right, and you believe it too, otherwise you wouldn't have said that. Perhaps I had better get some more training if I ever want you to treat me as your equal," she said stiffly before grabbing her bag and heading for the door.