29. The Side Trip

Harry stared at the feather for a long time, feeling its softness on his fingers.

"Dumbledore wants you to go to the Alps. We leave this afternoon."

"We?" Harry said, looking up from the feather.

"Yes, I'm to accompany you to a small Wizarding village at the base of the mountain, but after that you will be going to the top without me."

"And how do you propose that?" Harry asked.

"Simple, you walk," Lupin said, straight-faced before winking at Hermione.

Harry closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead. "Please tell me you're joking," he said.

"We should get going," Lupin said as he stood up. "We need to make a stop in Diagon Alley."

"What for?" Harry asked.

"You don't want to be walking in a snowstorm without the proper attire do you?" Lupin asked. "Do you still have the whistle?"

"It's upstairs," Harry said as he got up and made his way out of the kitchen.

Ron and Hermione exchanged glances and Hermione stood up.

"Excuse me," she said before dashing after Harry. She caught up to him as he entered his room.

"Harry! What on earth is going on? Why would Dumbledore say it's time? Time for what? And why can't we go? You might need us! There might be—"

"Hermione, stop!" Harry said as he threw up his hands.

Harry was surprised he was able to stop her tirade; he was not surprised to see her standing defiantly in front of him, arms crossed. Harry sighed, went to her, and took her in his arms. She looked up at him and he could see the fear in her eyes.

"Look, it will be okay. I'm just going to see if I can get Fawkes to come back. Nothing will happen. There's probably some ritual, and that's maybe why you can't come. I'll be fine, okay?"

Hermione leaned her head on Harry's chest, comforted by the sound of his heartbeat.

"If you don't come back, I swear, Harry Potter, I'll never speak to you again."

Harry smiled as he leaned his chin on the top of her head and hugged her close.

"It's a deal," he said, smiling.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Harry hated portkey travel, and it seemed that the further the distance, the worse it was. He could honestly say that this was one of the worst landings he had ever had. It didn't help that he was wearing a heavy cumbersome coat as well. He brushed the snow off as he looked around at the Wizarding village they had arrived in. It didn't look that much different from Diagon Alley, with all of its quaint shops.

"Harry," Lupin said, bringing him out of his musings, "I need to talk to the Phoenix Keeper."

"Phoenix Keeper? I thought they were free animals. Do they sell them?" Harry asked.

"No, the Phoenix Keeper is the only one the phoenix will allow to bring people to their lair. In order to see the phoenix, the Keeper must approve of you. I need to request an audience. Stay here and stay out of trouble."

Harry sighed. Why did everyone think he was always looking for trouble? He decided to amuse himself by wandering along the storefronts, avoiding any contact with the villagers. He felt a bit vulnerable being alone, and kept his hand on his wand in his pocket.

He wandered past the shops, glancing at the variety of merchandise available. As he passed an older emporium, a flash of something caught his eye. He backed up to get a better look, but the dust and grime on the window made it hard to see. Harry hesitated a moment, looking for Lupin, whom he saw was engaged in a conversation with a young woman. Harry watched for a moment, and then decided he had enough time to check out the store.