55. Harry Potter. How Nice Of You To Drop By

Harry walked along the darkened streets of Hogsmeade towards the castle. He could hear the rustle of the capes behind him, but he still felt incredibly alone. As he approached the gate, he could see figures in the shadows. He stopped in the middle of the road and waited until they recognized him. He could hear furious whispers and then the gate opened.

"Stay where you are!" someone called, and Harry thought it sounded like Crabbe.

Four figures came out, and in the dim light, Harry could see wands drawn.

"Good luck," he heard Neville whisper as he brushed past him.

Harry wished he could say the same, but the sentries were close enough to him now that they might hear him. As the four came closer, Harry could see that it was indeed Crabbe and Goyle, with their two fathers.

"Are you alone?" Crabbe asked as he pointed his wand at Harry.

Harry crossed his arms in a show of annoyance.

"Can you see anyone else with me?" he asked.

Goyle punched Crabbe in the arm.

"Stop asking stupid questions," he said.

"I was just following orders," Crabbe said. "He said to make sure Potter was alone."

Goyle rolled his eyes.

"Come on," he said as he waved his wand at Harry. "Lets go. They're waiting for you."

As Harry walked towards the castle with his guards, he worked on clearing all thoughts and emotions from his head. He knew what would be waiting for him, and he wanted to be as prepared as possible.

He walked up the front steps, and he suddenly felt like he was walking to his death. He stopped in front of the big doors and took a deep breath, which earned him a poke in the back.

"Get a move on," grunted Crabbe's father.

Harry pushed the door open, and the sound of raucous laughter could be heard from the great hall.

Crabbe and Goyle were taking turns prodding him, and it took all of his restraint to not turn and hex them. They had forgotten about his wand, and he was hoping to keep it that way.

As they came through the doorway and began to walk towards the front of the hall, the laughter died down. Harry looked around for the first time, and stumbled to a stop at what he saw. He had just walked into his nightmare. He could see the cages, full of people, against the wall on the far side of the room, and as his eyes were involuntarily drawn to the front, he saw his friends for the first time. He felt his stomach lurch as his eyes roamed over each one. He could tell Ginny had been crying, and Ron seemed to be unconscious, but when his eyes fell upon Hermione, the great beast in him roared to life at the pain he saw in her eyes. He suddenly understood the sacrifice his father made for his mother. He was more than willing to sacrifice his life if it meant that Hermione would live.

He started towards them, when movement to their left caught his eye. Voldemort had been sitting at the table, and he rose as Harry stopped at the bottom of the dais.

"Harry Potter. How nice of you to drop by," he said smoothly as a few people snickered.

Harry's four escorts had caught up to him, and Harry stepped back, whipped out his wand, grabbed Crabbe around the throat, and pointed his wand at his head. Crabbe struggled against him, eyes bulging, but all the training and hard work had made Harry stronger.

"Give Ron the antidote. Now," he demanded.

Voldemort stared at him for a moment before moving to sit in his chair.