61. Farewells and New Beginnings

"Hello Harry."

Harry slowly opened his eyes. The leaves in the tree above his head fluttered gently. He would always associate this place with a feeling of peace and tranquility. It was so much like the tree near the lake at Hogwarts.

"It's interesting to see how alike you and I are."

Harry sat up at the sound of her voice to find a beautiful, raven-haired woman standing a few feet away. Her features were fine, almost china-like, but he could tell she possessed a strength that few others would have. He knew it was Amoura.

"How do you figure that?" he asked.

She smiled at him, and Harry was thoroughly enamored by her.

"This tree was my favorite place as well when I was at school," she said.

Harry looked up at the rustling leaves.

"There aren't too many places—"

"Where you could find peace," she finished.

They were silent for a while.

"So...it's over, isn't it?" Harry finally whispered.

"Yes."

"Then...why am I here?" Harry asked.

"I am afraid that was my fault," Amoura said. "I overburdened your magic. You had been coping so well, accepting my presence without the struggle, that when your stag emerged from your wand, it just seemed so natural to follow it. I felt so free..." she smiled at the memory of it.

"But I failed to realize how much my magic had integrated with yours. I drained you of much of your power, Harry, and for that I am sorry."

This took Harry aback.

"You mean...I...I can't do magic anymore?" he said with a sudden sense of panic.

He didn't want to be non-magic: a squib. He couldn't live without being a part of the Wizarding world now. It had taken him too long to find a place where he truly felt he belonged.

She laughed, and Harry found it to be a beautiful sound.

"Goodness, no," she said. "A wizard as powerful as you will never be without magic. It was more like an overloading of your senses. You were not used to it yet, and..." she shrugged. "It was a tough day," she finished with a smile. "It probably won't happen again."

Harry relaxed in relief.

"It's time for me to go," Amoura said after a moment.

Harry looked at her in confusion. Go? Go where?" he said.

"Beyond the veil," she replied. "It has been far too long since I have seen my husband, but I just wanted to say good-bye."

"Will I...will I ever see you again?"

Amoura smiled through her tears.

"This is why I knew I had made the right choice," she said. "Many people would have been asking about my powers, not worrying if they would see me again."

"Well...I..."

"I will be one of the many awaiting your arrival for our next great adventure."

Harry's head snapped up at that comment.

"For now, however, I leave you with my gift. You are a great and powerful wizard, Harry, even without my powers. I know you will continue to choose the path that is right over the path that is easy."

"I'm beginning to think you were related to Dumbledore," Harry said.

"He was an incredible student," she said, but added nothing more, much to Harry's chagrin.