20. What Are You Really Scared Of?

When Harry came out of his room he wasn't surprised to find his two friends waiting for him with set looks of determination on their faces.

"Uh...Good morning?" Harry asked warily.

"So...How was your meeting, Harry?" Ron asked as he crossed his arms.

Harry glanced at Hermione who worriedly bit her lip, and he sighed. He should have known she'd tell him.

"He was telling me what we need to do to beat Voldemort. It's not going to be easy."

Ron snorted. "So this is something new?"

"Look, I know you want to help me and I'm not planning on doing this by myself. It's just...I need to figure some things out. That, and I have a meeting with Lupin this afternoon. I promise, when I have all the information, I'll tell you, okay?" Harry said.

Ron glanced over at Hermione who nodded.

"Fine," he muttered. "I hate bad news on an empty stomach anyways," Ron said as he headed for the portrait entrance.

Harry turned and looked at Hermione and raised an eyebrow accusingly.

"I'm sorry Harry. I'm just worried about you," she said as she cast her eyes to the carpet.

Harry closed the distance between them and took her hands in his.

"How worried?" He asked quietly.

Hermione looked up at those emerald green eyes and was shocked by the way he was looking at her. She realized that Harry wasn't just looking at her as a concerned friend. There was something more there, and Hermione was suddenly reminded of Ron's words from a few nights ago.

'Would you rather spend a lifetime regretting what you could have had? If you wait until the war is over, you may never have the chance.'

A single tear escaped from the corner of Hermione's eye and Harry reached up to gently wipe it away, his hand lingering on the side of her face.

"I'm scared, Harry. I'm so scared that it hurts..." she whispered brokenly.

"Me too," Harry whispered back. "Why don't we be scared together? That way, we can comfort each other when we are feeling alone or afraid."

Hermione smiled at him through her tears. How could she hold back her feelings for him? He always put the needs of others before his own, it was about time someone cared for him for a change. Harry slowly leaned down, and when she didn't back away, he cupped both sides of her face and gently touched his lips to hers. Hermione brought her hands up and tangled them in Harry's hair as she pulled his head closer to hers. Harry deepened his kiss, running his tongue over Hermione's soft bottom lip, seeking entry. He could feel the tingle radiating out from his heart, filling him, and he wanted to share it with her. He plunged his tongue into her mouth, reveling in the taste that was Hermione, and pushed the sensation he was feeling towards her. Hermione made a small moaning sound in the back of her throat, and pulled her body closer to Harry, enjoying the sensation of his hard body against hers, and the magic that Harry seemed to be sending her.

Harry had never felt anything like this before. Nothing else mattered except Hermione. She became his world. He could feel her heart beating against his chest, feel every spot where her body touched his, and feel her response to his touch. He slipped his hand around the small of her back and let his other hand get tangled in her soft curly hair. He lazily explored her mouth, savoring the feeling of her soft lips pressed against his. The feelings coursing through Harry were intoxicating. He couldn't get enough of her. He ran his hand up her back, touching her, feeling the warmth of her radiating through her shirt and it exhilarated him. Was this what it felt like to love someone? His heart was beating so fast that he thought it might burst, and he suddenly felt powerful, like he could take on the world. He pulled away from her in amazement, gasping for breath.