46. A Meeting of Hearts

Draco stood in the shadows watching and waiting. The one thing that working with Snape had given him was patience. He noticed the arrival of the first two Death Eaters and watched as they climbed the stairs to the bank. As they disappeared inside, a second set arrived and followed them in. Draco counted to ten before pulling his cowl lower over his head and crossed the street to the bank. He approached the door and made eye contact with the guard, who glanced his way, but didn't stop his entrance.

It was busy inside, which is what he wanted. He could see the goblins watching the other
Death Eaters warily, but ignoring him. Draco began to take his gloves off and then stopped, turning the movement into the straightening of his sleeve instead. He had almost forgotten.

Draco lifted his head and squared his shoulders, putting on the air of the aristocrat that he was. It would do him no good to show any fear or nervousness to the goblins. He approached the desk of the Master Goblin and pulled out a letter. The goblin looked up over the top of his glasses, a slight sneer making its way into the corner of his mouth. Draco chose to ignore it.

"You have ignored the summons," he said haughtily.

"We are not to be summoned like some kind of beast," the goblin growled.

Draco stood waiting, trying not to show his nervousness, and finally the goblin picked up the parchment and read it. After a moment, he got up and went through a door behind him. While he was gone Draco scanned the area, looking for any suspicious activity. He could see the Death Eaters keeping several of the goblins busy, and away from him.

'Idiots...' he thought to himself. 'Always looking for the obvious, always thinking about the gold.'

The Master Goblin came back with the letter in his hand and slid it across the counter. Draco looked down to see the word 'DENIED' scrawled across the elegant writing.

"The Dark Lord will not be happy with your lack of support," Draco said.

"You can tell your...Master... that we are not interested in the foolish battles of humans. We have nothing to gain by choosing a side," the goblin said.

Draco took the letter and slid it inside his pocket. He then pulled out a second letter.

"Family business," he said as he slid it across the counter.

The goblin took it and read it quickly while Draco watched.

"This seems acceptable," he said as he motioned to another goblin. "Griphook will take you to your vault."

Draco closed his eyes and grimaced. He swore that the grizzly old goblin took great pleasure in making him sick every time they traveled to the family vault.

The Master Goblin handed Griphook the letter and Draco followed him reluctantly.

"I don't suppose," Draco said as he climbed into the cart, "that we could go a little slower?"

Griphook just grinned at him as he pushed the lever and the cart began to roll. Draco closed his eyes.

As the car lurched to a stop after the seemingly endless ride, Draco almost gave up his earlier meal right then and there.

"Vault nine hundred and twenty-six," Griphook said as he got out.

Draco sat still, trying to get his stomach to stop revolting.

"Do you require assistance?" Griphook said with a slight smirk.

"No," Draco snapped as he got out of the cart.

"Stand back," Griphook said.

He drew an intricate pattern on the door of the vault with his finger. Draco could hear a series of clanks as the locks released. The vault door creaked open and Draco stepped inside. He scanned the room and cursed under his breath. By his calculations, half of the Malfoy fortune was missing. He knew his father had been giving Voldemort bags of gold, but he didn't realize how much of it had come from here.