44. Strength in Believing

"Expelliarmus!" both Harry and Luna shouted at the same time. The power of the two spells was so powerful that Voldemort flew out of sight. Harry rushed to Hermione's side and cradled her against his chest. He looked up to see Luna standing quietly over him.

"Luna, we've got to get her some help."

He looked back down in panic at the slowly spreading red stain. He couldn't lose her, not now, not like this...

"I'm sorry, Harry, I can't help you," Luna said

Harry looked back up at her incredulously.

Luna just shook her head.

"This is all in your mind, Harry, so I can't help. You have to help her, or she will die."

It was one of the most confusing things Harry had ever heard, and he felt himself getting annoyed.

"Look, I don't have the time or the patience right now to figure out one of your riddles! Hermione is dying!" he said angrily.

Luna cocked her head and blinked her big blue eyes.

"Is that what you believe, Harry?"

Harry looked back down at her pale face. "I can see it," he said.

Luna sighed. "The mind is a very powerful tool, Harry. If Voldemort has used yours to make you believe that she is dying, then Hermione will believe it, and it will happen. Do you understand?"

Harry closed his eyes for a moment, trying to make sense of it all.

"So you are saying that none of this is real?" he said dejectedly, thinking about what Hermione had said earlier.

"No one has ever said that this isn't real," Luna said. "Voldemort's soul fragment is here, and so are we, and the rest of what you see around you is what you believe to be real. In here, you have the power to do anything. Remember the wall you conjured? That came from your magical core. That's the power Voldemort is trying to take from you, and the power that you need to use to stop this, and him."

Harry looked back down at Hermione, trying to see past the bloodstain and the paleness of her face.

"You have to believe, Harry," Luna whispered.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Ron was becoming very nervous. He paced back and forth, his eyes darting to the shadowy figure by the wall. Lupin sat watching Ron, taking note of the worry and determination on his face.

"How long will this take?" he asked, breaking the silence.

Ron glanced over at the two girls sitting on the floor in front of Harry. His worry had doubled since the last time he was in this position, now that Luna was in the picture.

"I don't know," he sighed. "That's the part I hate."

Hermione stiffened and gasped before slumping against Luna, at the same time Tom gave a sinister laugh that turned into a cry of rage before he disappeared. Both Ron and Lupin scanned the room, but there was no sign of the evil spirit.

"What happened? Where is he? Is he gone?" Lupin asked.

"I don't think so," Ron said as he checked Harry. "The locket is still intact. Besides, the girls are—" he trailed off as he took a closer look at Hermione. She was hardly breathing.

"No, No, No! Not again!" he cried as he knelt in front of them.

"What?" Lupin asked as he came back around.