Twilight

"Wait." Zelda placed her hand on Link's shoulder to stop him from walking.

Both the dog and Link turned to look at her. "Hm?"

They were stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, about seven minutes away from Links house by then.

"Does this mean I'm going to meet your aunt?"

Link smiled warmly with a nod.

Lake barked and stuck his tongue out slightly to lick Zelda's hand, which had gone up to ruffle his head in the break.

"Yeah, and if you have any worries just be sure to know that she'll love you very much." Link chuckled softly. "I mean, she already does."

Zelda smiled and a warm blush grew on her cheeks. "Aw, well, I'm really glad I gave a good first impression."

Link smirked and continued to walk, Zelda following the lead. "You're fine."

Their footsteps and the cranking of cars and publicity were heard all around, thus having made the silence bearable and comfortable.

Zelda had been curious for a long while, though. With hesitation in mind, she tried to get out a question she'd been dying to ask.

"Hey, Link?" she called.

Link nodded his head in indication he was listening.

"Um..." Zelda placed her hands behind her back, growing slightly shy. "How've you and the girl you're in love with—Mipha, I believe—-been?"

Link's figure seemed to lessen a bit, and Zelda had noticed as they walked along the sidewalk.

"Y-you don't have to answer." She sighed. "I'm sorry if it's a sensitive topic, still. I was just-"

"Curious—" Link smiled warmly her way, Lake bundled in his arms comfortably—"I know." He moved his view to Lake and kept his smile on the happy dog for a bit before focusing his view back on their walk. "You're always curious, which is why this journey is still even going on." He turned back to Zelda, smile a little broad. "And I wouldn't want to have it any other way. So...about me and Mipha..."

Zelda nodded, waiting for Link to continue in patience.

Link seemed to struggle to find his words. "I-I— I don't know... I guess we're fine?"

"Have you guys been talking?"

"Uh," Link's voice cracked, "no?"

Zelda frowned. "What happened? Did it just...get awkward?"

Link shrugged, trying to keep a strong facade. "I suppose so."

He bit his lower lip, looking to the ground. His mouth opened for a second, but it was then closed again. He seemed to want to let something out, but he tried to find ways to word it.

"Um," he licked his lips, fidgeting as they walked, "if you're wondering...I..." He sighed. "My feelings for her have been going away. Just... At school, there's been rumors going on and I really don't want that to get to me, so I'm deciding to let her go."

Zelda noticed how soft Link's voice had gotten till the end, and she started to feel bad, in a way. "Oh, Link...I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to-"

"I know," he cut her off softly. He smiled the same way toward her. "I know. But you shouldn't be sorry, you didn't mean to do anything. It was only just a matter of time."

Zelda frowned again, a sigh coming out of her. She wanted to say something, but she saw Link working gears in his head. She waited, watching a sleeping Lake in the meantime.