Sword

Link kept his eyes focused on the fire lit on the top of the torch, the wind blowing it and leading the way. He made sure his hand was tightly linked with Zelda's, hesitant to keep moving.

"Ya know...if I'm going to be honest here, I'm pretty scared," Link admitted, softly. He stopped moving and made sure the fire was being blown, just in case he went too far past the limit. "I've never done this before, so what if I take a wrong step and get us lost?"

Zelda frowned hearing his words, but she held his hand tighter and moved closer to him, telling him, "It's going to be okay, Link. I'm here with you."

Fortunately, it reassured him as he started moving again. He didn't say anything back to her, but the gentle squeeze he gave her hand was enough to get the message across.

Soon, the silence that had grown between them grew eerie. Link wanted to talk about something to get rid of it, but he had no idea what to say. Luckily for them, Zelda spoke.

"I...forgot to mention something back there," she said. "My last name had always been said to be Bosphoramus, like my father's, but instead it's actually Hyrule. So, I guess, that's more proof as to me being a relative of the previous royal family."

Link didn't know what to say, he was still a little shaken up after hearing she was even related to a Princess. But, he laughed disbelievingly and shook his head, joking when he uttered, "May as well start wearing dresses and actually be referred to as Princess Zelda."

That cracked a smile and a small laugh out of Zelda, and it made him proud of his ability to make the situation light.

Minutes passed, and still no sign of any entrance. Link, himself, was starting to get overwhelmed and was in denial by then. He was considering giving up when he looked to Zelda, all movement ceased. "I don't think we should go any further, Zelda. What if there's nothing out there? And what if...what if the sword was all a myth?"

Zelda contorted her face, beyond confused. "What do you mean?"

"What if..." Link sighed, speaking calmly. "What if the Master Sword doesn't even exist anymore, is what I'm trying to say here." He looked ahead of him, glancing at the crackling fire. "Think about it—it's been centuries since it had last been recorded or mentioned. Like, yes, historians are still out there trying to find it, but what if it just isn't located in the Lost Woods any longer?"

When Link turned back to look at Zelda, he wasn't surprised when he saw her slightly aggravated.

"Come on, Link," she pressed. "We've made it this far! Let's just give it a few more minutes, okay?" Zelda frowned, tugging on Link's hand. "If there's nothing within the next ten minutes, then we can stop."

A sigh came out of Link, and despite his urge to give up, he took Zelda's words into mind. "Okay, let's keep going," he finalized.

The smile on Zelda's face made him glad of the decision he made, but he just gave her a smile in return and followed the direction of the smoke.

Even though Link decided to keep going, he was still slightly terrified. He was still unsure of what would've actually happened to them if they got lost or he took a wrong step or went the wrong direction—Skull Kid would've been the outcome, right? He wasn't positive, but he feared that might've been it.

Zelda, on the other hand, had seemed eager. But despite that, even she was scared. Having heard that Link was scared, though, made her go from scared to horrified, because Link really had never done anything as drastic as what they were doing at that moment.

Basically, what they were doing was risky.

But, it wasn't until Link spotted an area a few feet away that consisted of a trail leading to a brightened area that he was excited to say he found something. He tugged on Zelda's hand and made way to the bright area with rushed movement.