History {pt. 2}

"Hey, I've been curious." Link glanced over to Zelda as they walked through the Lost Woods, stopping at the right moment to watch the air. "Why are you wearing the same clothes from yesterday?"

Zelda wasn't sure whether to partly lie, or to lie in general—maybe the first option was better. "Uh, well," she started, watching Link as he skillfully found his way through the intimidating woods, "I...was just up last night looking at something and I guess it lead me to just knock out on the spot. I wasn't planning on changing until before I go to sleep, but I guess that didn't work out." She scratched her head, unsure how to form words at that moment. Her eyes focused on Link, who had turned his head to give her an intrigued glance. So, she continued. "I had waken up a little later than usual this morning—10:00, to be exact—and I wanted to go apologize to my father for something...ah..." Zelda paused, laughing slightly as she said, "this'll come into play when I explain everything—long story short, I had discovered something and just had to come find you in a rush."

Link was silent the whole time, half on focusing to find his way and half on listening to Zelda speak—it had been awhile since he'd heard her rant like that, after all. He responded, anyway. "Why me?" He had a hunch, but he wanted to know the real reason.

Zelda's answer was immediate. "Because you were the first person to cross my mind who will understand me and—hopefully—believe what I'll tell you."

Link stopped walking, making sure they were in a safe area before turning back to Zelda, who had tightened her grip slightly on his hand when she added, "A-and...I trust you."

To hear such words come out of her mouth was enough to make his whole day, and he was glad he could agree with her on that. He simply smiled, making sure to show enough sincerity through the action before tugging her hand to keep walking. He wasn't aware of what it was Zelda was going to tell him, but he was slightly eager to hear about it.

"We're here," he announced, his thoughts coming to a break right as he entered the entrance to his little village of trees.

"Great," responded Zelda. She let go of Link's hand and slid off her backpack, raising it up just enough to give Link a clear view of it as she said, "Let's go inside the tree, what I'm going to tell you won't be easy to let out."

Hearing those words made Link slightly worried, but he nodded, nonetheless, and swallowed a nervous lump in his throat before following behind Zelda as she walked over to the tree's entrance.

The two walked in, Zelda heading over to the makeshift-couch to sit down and set her bag on her lap, zipping it open.

Link, on the other hand, was simply just standing in front of her, eyeing her movements with visible curiosity when she took out a book—no, two. Two books. She set her bag to the side, and he noticed she was insanely nervous. That was his cue to walk up to sit beside her, scooting in close to her in case she needed comforting, but far enough for her to not be uncomfortable.

"Alright," Link said, keeping his voice as firm and as serious as possible, "what is it?"

Instead of answering verbally, Zelda picked up one of the books—a rather thick one, at that—and opened it, placing each side of the book on their thigh for a mini table. "Can you read this?" she asked.

Link went from looking at her with confusion to looking at the book, even more confusion contorting across his features. "Um..." He was going to say he was incapable of reading the letterings on the book, but a few characters were recognizable and it had him let out a gasp of realization. "I can actually! Well—just a few words." Link squinted his eyes, as if in thought, and leaned in slightly as he read over the words carefully.