History {pt. 1}

Her father—hiding the truth from her! It was simply bizarre!

Zelda rushed down the hallway, determined to find her father. His office was the best guess since he was probably over there looking something up.

She had gone over to her room to hide the book and the diary she grabbed from down in the basement before going over to her father. She didn't want him taking them away from her, anyway.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it? Zelda turned a corner and was met with her father's door in front of her. Or maybe it's all the truth.

She clenched her fists before relaxing them and taking a deep breath, opening her father's door.

Just as she suspected, he was behind his desk with a bunch of papers and books scattered on his desk. To sum it up, he looked stressed.

Zelda walked up to him, waiting for him to look up from the book he was frantically reading. When he didn't stop to look up, she spoke out saying, "Father, what's down there in the basement?" She knew well enough what was down there, but she was testing her beloved father.

He jumped up from slouching and panicked as he tried to cover the books and papers not-so-subtly. "Oh, Zelda! I didn't know you came in."

Zelda walked closer to his desk and crossed her arms. "Yes, I'm here, but what's in the basement?" She glanced at the stuff lying on his desk and gestured toward it. "And what are those?"

Rhoam started to grow a bead of sweat on his forehead. "Uh— Nothing. For both."

Zelda pursed her lips and frowned. "Are you sure?"

Her father nodded, trying to seem confident. "Yes."

That was when Zelda felt a sigh leave her mouth. "Father...I know what's down there."

Rhoam looked down, not seeming to be high and mighty anymore. He ran a hand through his hair and a shaky sigh came out of him. "Did you really?"

It surprised Zelda at his soft voice, but she nodded nonetheless. "Yeah. It... Why do we have paintings of the Princess from long ago?"

Rhoam didn't look at her when he inquired, "Was she with a man?"

"Yes, she was." Despite the confusion of what was down in the basement, and with how it slightly frightened her, she was eager to hear about it.

"Well, uh..." Rhoam leaned back in his chair and sighed stressfully, reluctant to tell his daughter anything.

Zelda wanted to know everything though—her father was hiding things and she didn't like it, especially for it being hidden from her all her life. The question about the mansion's origin had been wanting to slip past her lips ever since she walked in, but she waited as patiently as she could.

Rhoam continued. "Well, that's the Princess and the other Princesses from ages past." He forced himself to look into Zelda's eyes. "That's it."

"But, no one else had seen them. Not even historians; it's been centuries and ages since the events from long ago happened and those drawings were made, surely someone would've at least had them to share out with the public." Zelda was letting out all she had within her—she wanted answers. "And, may I inquire," she held up a finger, "why do we have them?"

Rhoam was silent then, unsure how to answer without giving too much away. "Um, well, Zelda...you see..."

Zelda wasn't able to hold it in anymore. "When was this mansion made?"

"Zelda—"

Zelda asked again, emphasizing her question. "When was this mansion made and why do we have furniture, papers, drawings, and books from way back then?"