Chapter 10

The stromboli is literally the best thing I've ever had. I don't know how they make it but it is perfection. I cross my legs beneath the table as I sip on my drink. "Did you like it?" he asks.

I nod, placing my glass back down on the table. "Yes, thank you."

"You're welcome," he says, glancing around. "I've always loved this place but I haven't been here in a while and it sounded good."

A long moment passes before I ask the question that has been bothering me. "So why do you do it? Help all these women, I mean. I don't see many benefits of it. Of course we're basically your slaves but you allow us to go out. I thought maybe it was for your personal benefit - having such a big variety of women at your fingertips - and apparently you only sleep with women from the other house so you don't have to worry about seeing them."

He raises an eyebrow. "You seem to have spent a while thinking about this."

"I have."

He sighs. "One of my old girlfriends was on the street when we met. She didn't have anything so I helped her get back on her feet. My family had the space and money to help people so after a lot of convincing, my father agreed. He wouldn't help the women for free though so he allowed them to stay at the house in exchange for their work."

"So you like fixing broken people?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I like knowing I am the reason why some of those women are still alive."

"What about your girlfriend?" I ask. "What'd you do to scare her off?"

"She died," he says, standing up.

My lips part in surprise and I begin feeling guilty for being so rude. I watch as he drops a few hundred dollar bills on the table. He turns and begins walking away so I take that as my queue to follow him. Taking a deep breath, I stand up and follow him to the front where Eva is sweeping. "Thank you so much, Eva. It was nice seeing you again. Tell Giovanni I said thank you."

"I will," she says, leaning the broom against the wall. She pulls him in for a hug. "Stop by again soon."

"I will."

Releasing him, she turns to me with a smile. "It was nice meeting you, Madison. Make him stop by every once in a while."

Not knowing what to say, I simply smile. As we leave the pizzeria, I have so many questions to ask. He opens the car door and I look up at him. "Will you tell me about her sometime?"

Despite his earlier irritation with me, he smiles a little. "Maybe."

I bite my lip, attempting to hold back a smile. "Maybe yes or maybe no?"

His eyes flicker down to my lips. "Maybe yes."

I intentionally lick my lips and his eyes heat almost immediately. He wants me and the realization causes fireworks to go off in my head. Smiling in content, I sit down and he closes the door. Climbing into the car, he begins driving and I look over at him. He glances over at me and I lean towards him. "You like me."

He chuckles, glancing at me once more. "I've made it pretty obvious."

I smile. "So what are you going to do about it?"

"Well, that's up to you. Where do you want to go?" he asks, turning towards me.

"Where do you live?" I ask, wondering if he stays at the houses.

"I have my own room at both places but I own a house."

"Let's just go back to the house and you can show me your room."

Nodding, he heads back in the direction we came. When we get back to the house, the guards open the gate when they see it's Owen. He parks the car in the garage and I reach for the handle but he stops me. "I'll get it," he says, climbing out.

Walking around the car, he opens my door and takes my hand. I stand and follow him into the house. He stops at the first door on the right. Releasing my hand, he unlocks the door before opening it. Sauntering into the room, I look around. To the right is the living area, to the left is the kitchen and dining room. It's all open and decorated with modern furniture. "It's nice," I say, turning around so I'm facing him.

He's leaning against the door, watching me carefully. "Would you like to stay or go?"

"Do you want me to go?" I ask, tilting my head to the side slightly.

"No," he pauses. "But you can leave at any time."

"I know."

"I don't want you to think I am taking advantage of you. No matter what you choose, you will still be allowed to stay for as long as you please. This won't affect your work or anything," he says. "You still have rules to follow."

I roll my eyes. "I know this. Now, are you going to show me your room or am I going to have to find it?"

His lips turn up into a small smile and he walks to me. "Come on."

Lacing my fingers with him, he leads me to the door just off of the dining room. There is a large king size bed with a grey tufted headboard. On each side of it is matching nightstands which each hold a lamp. There is a chest of drawers across from the bed is a chest with three drawers and above it hangs a flat screen TV. "The bathroom is through that door," he points to the left. "And the other door is my closet."

Taking a deep breath, I turn to him. "So what now?"

He glances at the bed then back to the door. "How about dessert and a movie?"

"Okay," I say, slightly confused.

He just lectured me about what this all means and now he wants to watch a movie? Grabbing my hand, he pulls me against him and presses a soft kiss against my lips. Pulling me out of the room, I sit on the couch as he finds a movie. Once he grabs some snacks, he joins me on the couch.

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow