Chapter 14

Since we had intruders yesterday, Owen allowed everyone to relax except for a select few bartenders. The place was oddly calm so I'm relieved to find that everything seems to be back to normal today. The day flies by and before I know it, it's time to go with Owen. Part of me wants to go to see what the other house is like but the other part of me wants to run and hide from him. I could handle my ex and his occasional episodes but Owen doesn't compare to him. I know I won't ever be able to handle him and all of his baggage. I'm already too tangled into this place and I'm making it worse by spending more time with him. But I can't help but be drawn to him and the danger he's invloved in. I want to see his life, even if it's only a short glimpse.

Earlier in the day, Owen told me to wear a formal dress tonight and that I wouldn't need to bring any clothes since it's similar to this place. I was grateful that the meeting was short so people didn't have much time to stare. I wear a floor length red dress that has a slit at the bottom that reveals my leg when I walk. Pushing my long straightened hair over my shoulder, I exit the wardrobe room and head for Owen's room. We bump into each other as soon as I turn the corner. "Sorry," I say, attempting to step back.

He holds me against him, his eyes trailing down to my chest. "Red suits you. You look stunning."

"You didn't even look at my dress," I point out.

"I don't care about your dress. I'm sure you could make anything look good," he says, the corner of his mouth tugging upwards.

Placing my hands on his chest, I push him away slightly. He's wearing a nice expensive looking black suit. "You look nice too," I say.

"Thanks," he says, holding out his hand for me to take. "Let's go."

Taking his hand, I follow him down the hallway to the garage. This time he chooses to take the grey Maserati parked at the end. After opening and closing my door, he gets in. The engine roars to life as the garage door opens. "Are these cars yours?" I ask.

"Yes," he replies. "A few were gifts."

"Gifts?" I ask in disbelief.

He glances at me, amused. "From my father. He can definitely afford it."

I frown. "So what's the deal with all of you? Is he in charge? Or are you? Or Michael?"

The guards open the gate and he turns to the right. "My dad is technically, but he's getting older so he's putting a lot of the weight on us. He still dictates everything but we handle all of the deals. I handle most of the local stuff and Michael travels. I perfer it that way."

"Do the deals go bad often?"

He shrugs. "Depends. Michael has a tendency of fucking everything up but I try to fix things before they go bad."

"So what markets are you guys tied into?"

He glances at me. "Drugs thanks to Michael. I handle the guns and women."

"Prostitution?"

He glares in my direction. "I help the women. They all choose whether to sleep around or not and I don't get paid for their sexual habits."

I turn my body towards the window, not wanting to worsen his mood any more. The other house is about twenty five minutes away due to the light traffic. It looks like a normal apartment building. He parks behind the brick building and gets out to open my door. Taking my hand, he leads me up to the back entrance where he types in a code. The door unlocks and we enter the building. "My room is upstairs. I'll show you later," he says quietly, guiding me to the right.

We go down the stairs beside the door where there are two doors. One is labeled 1A and the other is labeled Maintenance. He enters 1A without knocking. The room is filled with men, smoking and drinking as they watch TV. They glance in our direction before returning their gaze to the TV. There's a door on the left wall which Owen opens and I realize it's a closet where a few coats hang. He knocks on the back wall twice and the wall opens up into a room. He pulls me through the closet and into the hidden room. I glance back in time to see the guy close the door. We follow the ramp down and I realize that we are now underground.

At the end of the hallway is a large room filled with machines, tables, and a lot of well dressed people. It's an underground casino. No wonder why they have so much money. "Madison," Michael says, gaining my attention.

I look to my left where he is sauntering towards me with a smile on his face. "Hey Michael," I say, uninterested in him at the moment. Especially since Owen was already pissed about our past.

"Michael," Owen says. "I thought you were going out of town."

"Tomorrow," Michael says, glancing at me. "So when did you start bringing women from the house here?"

"She's not from the house, she's with me," Owen responds. "Excuse us."

Owen pulls my hand, dragging me to the bar. "Welcome back, Mr. Carter. What can I get you?" a tall blonde asks from behind the bar.

She's wearing a very revealing leather black tops that shows off her cleavage. "Two beers."

Nodding, she grabs two glasses and fills them. I accept the glass and take a drink immediately. "Anything else?" the blonde asks, gazing at me.

"That'll be all, Shelby."

She walks away and I turn around, looking around the casino. Everyone is so well dressed. "Was she one of your women?" I ask curiously.

"My women?" he repeats.

"That you've slept with," I clarify.

He chuckles. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"I overheard some girls talking the other day. They said you sleep with a lot of women here."

"I don't come here often," he replies.

"Just when you need to get laid. Is that why I'm here?"

I see him shake his head from the corner of my eye. "If all I wanted from you was sex then we would've done it already."

I look into his eyes. "What makes you think I'd consent?"

"Your fuck me eyes from my room the other night."

I can't help but laugh. "Fuck me eyes? What the hell is that?"

"I can read people very well for the most part. You're difficult at times because I don't know you well enough yet. But trust me when I say I know what it looks like when a woman wants me to take her to bed."

"Then why didn't you?" I ask.

"Because you had no clue what you were getting yourself into yet. The women here know exactly what we do and don't care that they're tied into the mafia," he explains. "I wanted you to know and now you do."

Tonight then? My stomach tightens at the thought. He smiles at me, taking my drink and placing it down on the bar. Pulling me closer, he pulls my chin up, my lips meeting his.

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow