Chapter 25

✳✳✳Madison✳✳✳

When I wake up, I quickly get dressed before Owen wakes up. I put my hair up in a messy bun before returning to the bed. Leaning down, I press a kiss to his temple. His eyes slowly open and he smiles. "I love waking up to your beautiful face."

I smile down at him. "Did you sleep well?"

He nods. "I did. I always sleep well when I'm next to you. Which reminds me, I was thinking... Maybe you could start staying in my room here."

I stand up and grab my shoes to put a little space between us. Sitting on the edge of Annie's bed, I wince as I lean down to put them on. "You want me to live with you?"

"Well, we already live under the same roof. I thought maybe you'd like to sleep in the same room," he explains. "I've already told you you're not like the other girls so you don't have to live like them. In fact, if you want to find a job outside of this place I'd be okay with that. Or if you don't want to work at all then that's fine."

Sitting up, I drag my hand over my face. "You leave for days at a time sometimes without even telling me. I'd just be alone."

He shakes his head. "I'll get you a phone and make sure we can keep talking while I'm not here."

"What if I say no?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Then I'll come here as often as I can. But it'd be a lot easier if you'd just agree to sleep in my room considering I have Bryant."

I glance at the clock on the wall. "Fine. I have to speak to Miles before work."

"I'll walk you."

He gets out of bed and grabs his socks and shoes. Next, he tucks in his shirt and puts on his belt. Grabbing his suit jacket, he puts it on as he follows me out of the room. He runs his fingers through his hair before lacing his fingers with mine. "I thought you weren't allowed back here," I say.

"I couldn't help myself," he shrugs. "All my rules seem to slip my mind when it comes to you."

I nod in agreement. "That's true. You said things wouldn't change between us and I'd still be required to work regularly."

He smiles. "I guess you could say I kind of like you."

We get to the medical hall and I stop, leaning back against the wall. "I'm glad to know the feeling is mutual."

He presses a kiss to my forehead. "Me too. Now I know I can keep you for a while," he says, somewhat playfully.

They're the same words from last week and I can't help but be slightly annoyed. "If you don't want me forever then I don't want you at all."

His eyebrows raise slightly. "I was messing with you."

"My words still stand," I say softly.

He looks at me with a conflicted look on his face. Will this be it? Will his commitment issues finally be revealed? "I never want to stop loving you," he says softly.

Loving me? Out of all the things he could have said, this was the least expected. Tilting my chin up, he presses a soft kiss to my lips. His tongue brushes against my lips and I grant him access to my mouth. Our tongues slowly move against each others in a heated passion. Someone near us clears their throat but it doesn't stop Owen. "Owen," Dominic says after a short moment.

I can tell by his voice that something is wrong so I pull away. Standing beside us is an older woman wearing a stunning dress. She has dark hair with a few grays hinting at the sides. Owen's touch is gone within seconds and I glance between him and the woman. "Mother."

My lips part in surprise. His mom? She glances at me before returning her gaze to her son. "Your father is in your office."

He nods before turning to me. His eyes flicker down the hall, silently telling me to move along. Taking a deep breath, I turn and obey his command. What do they want? Maybe his dad is trying to get him to take over again. Attempting to push the thoughts aside, I knock on the door to the medical room. He opens the door after a short moment and allows me to come in. "Good morning. How are you feeling?"

"Okay," I shrug. "It hurts a little but I know it'll start hurting a lot more when I'm playing with the kids."

He furrows his eyebrows. "I can give you painkillers but there's no way I'm going to let you work."

"Why not?"

"Because you could open your stitches," he says.

"I'll be fine."

"If you work then I'm telling Owen about what happened," he threatens.

I roll my eyes. "Fine. Just get me a pill."

He goes to one of the cupboards, unlocking it with his key. After retrieving a pill, he gets a small cup of water and brings it to me. I take it and drink the water before tossing the cup into the trash. "Stop by whenever. You can return to work once you're better."

"Thanks," I say, opening the door and leaving the room.

As I walk towards the lounge, my mind wanders back to the previous night. This place has more security then anywhere I've been. When I spot Dominic near the bar, I decide to ask him something. He's on the phone but by the time I'm near him the call has ended. "Hey," he says, glancing at me.

"Hey, I have a question," I say.

"What is it?"

"Who is allowed in here from the outside?" I ask.

This gains his full attention. He tucks his phone into his pocket and gazes at me. "Well, we have many people that come and go but it's all surveillanced. We keep a record of all visitors."

"What kind of people? At night for example," I say, attempting to not be obvious.

He slips his hands in his pockets. "Once a week a man comes to deliver all of our alcoholic beverages. We're typically his last stop. The sheriff also stops by occasionally," he shrugs. "Other than that it's people we hire to fix things around here."

"Was the delivery guy here last night?"

He scratches his jaw. "I believe so. Why are you asking?"

"Can you see who it was?" I ask.

He furrows his eyebrows. "Madison, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I say, looking at him expectantly.

He sighs. "I can take a look at the surveillance videos."

"Thank you," I say, turning and walking away.

If I decide to go to Owen with this, I'll need all the facts, including the man's identity. Dominic said the sheriff comes around and Miles said they're paid off so why not get help from them to identify him. On top of all of the things that have already happened, now Owen's parents are here and I have no clue what to expect.

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow