Chapter 11

My eyes pop open and it takes me a moment to remember where I am. I am still at Owen's, laying across his couch in the living room which is now dimly lit with the morning sunlight. Owen is sound asleep beside me so I carefully untangle myself from him and quietly stand up, glancing down at him. Shaking my head, I head into the bathroom. After relieving my bladder, I quickly use my fingers to comb through my hair in hopes of making myself look more presentable. Exiting the bathroom, I glance at Owen one last time before leaving.

There are a few men and woman sitting around but no one cares to see who is wandering about. Entering the wardrobe, I find a pair a jeans and a cute blouse. After grabbing a new bra and panty set, I make my way to the showers. We're allowed to keep the bras and panties that we wear along with a few outfits. Annie explained to me that their are women who do the laundry so we have to place our laundry in a mesh bag and place it outside our door for them to pick up. They return it within twenty-four hours neatly folded. It's kind of nice if you ask me but I'd hate to have that job.

There are two other women showering so I go to the opposite side of the room. Placing my clothes on the counter, I begin to undress. Thankfully the girls pay no attention to me because they are deep in conversation. I quickly shower, replaying last night in my head. How will he behave now? What does it mean for us? I decide if we bump into each other, I'll act like nothing ever happened. He said it wouldn't affect anything so we should act the same way we did before. Especially since the only thing we did was kiss.

Shutting off the water, I grab a towel and dry up. After getting dressed, I return to the wardrobe to put on a little makeup and brush my hair, tying it back in a messy bun. Since it's so early, there's not much to do so I decide to check the daycare. When I enter the small waiting area with the windows, I see that the infant's room is the only one with a light on. I enter the room as one of the nurses comes in through the back entrance. "Good morning, Madison."

"Good morning," I reply, feeling guilty for not remembering her name.

"This little one needs to be fed. Would you like to help?" she asks.

I smile, nodding. "I'd love to."

"Take a seat and I'll bring her to you," she says.

I sit down in one of the comfortable rocking chairs and she carefully passes her over to me. "What's her name?"

"When her father found out that her mother was pregnant, he always referred to the baby as my little angel. So her mom decided to name her Nevaeh," she explains. "Heaven spelled backwards."

"That's adorable," I say, looking down at her.

The nurse leaves the room and returns with a bib and a baby bottle. I carefully move her to make it easier to put the bib on before accepting the bottle. The nurse begins attending to the other babies as Nevaeh suckles at the bottle. She has a head full of dark hair and beautiful big blue eyes. All of the sudden a red light begins flashing above the door and the faint sound of an alarm causes my heart to race. The nurse runs into the room and grabs two carts holding the babies, unlocking their wheels. "What's going on?"

"People must have gotten onto the property," she says. "Put Nevaeh back into her bed and help me bring all of them into the panic room."

Fear surges through me but I do as I'm told, placing her in her crib. Grabbing two of the small crib-like carts, I follow the nurse into the next room. Within two minutes, all of the babies are safely in the room. Just before she can close the door, Miles enters the room. "Wait!"

He runs into the panic room before pulling the door closed and locking it. "What's happening?" I ask, my voice shaking.

He looks at me sympathetically. "The one thing they don't tell you when you come here is that the man who started all of this is the head of the mafia. The Carter's are very powerful and wealthy people. Everyone is afraid to mess with them. They have the police paid off."

"If everyone is so afraid then why are we being attacked?"

"It happens occasionally," he shrugs. "Maybe a deal went wrong."

"So Owen..."

"Is the son of the man who probably caused this."

I shake my head in disbelief. "So what do we do?"

"We wait until Owen calls me then I help all the wounded people but usually there aren't many - just a few bullet wounds," he explains. "But we're okay in here. Nothing can happen to us."

He wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. Hugging him back, I close my eyes and think about the man I had just spent the night with. We don't know anything about each other and after this I don't know if I want to know much more about him. As I think the words, I know they're all a lie. I have never been one that does as they're told. I'm adventurous, outgoing and have always been way too curious. But I remind myself that I came here for a change and that he was not part of the plan. The mafia is a little too high for my curiosity and I begin to feel sick at the thought of dead bodies laying around.

What did I get myself into?

**************************

Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow