chapter 3

Chapter 3: Preparations

xxx

At one end of the hospital wing, blocked to most of the students by a gathering of beds that were rarely used, was an entirely inconspicuous blank wall. Minerva approached said wall swiftly, glancing across the ward only once to see the Malfoy boy unconscious again, this time rendered so by Poppy's potions.

The Transfiguration teacher drew her wand and tapped three times on the wall. Within seconds, the solid stone began to ripple, moving fluidly and sliding away from itself until a fully operational door had formed before her. Squaring her shoulders, she twisted the handle and strode through it.

On the other side of the door was a room similar to but smaller than the main ward. And rather than beds, the main features of the room were the two massive cages set at its centre.

Inside one was the huddled form of Professor Remus Lupin.

She sighed at the state of him, her lips thinning with some severe emotion – though whether it was disapproval of his carelessness or pity for the look he currently gave her, even she wasn't sure.

"Minerva," the werewolf greeted her quietly, his voice hoarse and scratchy. "What… what happened? What did I do?"

Ignoring his question for the moment, she flicked her wand in some intricate gesture, muttering beneath her breath. In moments, the iron cage opened slowly, the aged metal shrieking in protest. The man inside moved stiffly, wincing as he stood and stepped out of his confines. He headed for the bed in the corner of the room, lowering himself onto it hesitantly, obviously trying not to aggravate the muscle cramps he'd acquired curled within the cage.

Again, his amber eyes found her and pinned her with a flat look. "Minerva, answer me. What happened last night?"

The Scotswoman only glared back, folding her arms. "That is what I'd like to know, Remus Lupin! What in Merlin's name happened that would cause you not to take the potion?"

He blanched, lowering his gaze. The grey in his hair was suddenly all the more prominent, as were the slight lines at the corners of his eyes. "I have… no excuse. I allowed the wolf to… take advantage of my grief. It overpowered me, Minerva, as it hasn't managed in many long years now. I shouldn't have let my mind wander to Sirius. It was asking for trouble, I see that now. I should have fought harder, I should have…" Trailing off, he shook his head. "Did I hurt anyone?"

She bit her lip. "Oh Remus…!" Her tone was half sad, half angry.

His head shot up then, distress evident on his face. He'd expected her immediate reassurance, that much was clear.

"Oh God, who was it? Please tell me they're not… they're not…"

She closed her eyes against the useless rage that rose up in her. Part of her wanted to yell at him mercilessly, scream that if it hadn't been for Potter a good number of the student population would be gone because of him. How could he have been so careless? Grief was to be understood, but he'd promised Albus that he had healed, that it would be safe for him to come here!

"Draco Malfoy," she answered finally, opening her eyes and staring at him expressionlessly.

What little colour was left in the man's face abruptly drained, leaving him shaking and looking as though he might be ill at any moment. "I – I… Is he…? He's not –?"

She pursed her lips. "He is not dead, no, but only through the intervention of Harry. He… You bit him, Remus."

"No!" The protest was useless, of course, but it escaped the man anyway. He stood, taking frantic steps toward her. "God, no, anything but that! He can't –! He can't be like… like me! Minerva, no…"