chapter 36

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 36: Taking Chances

xxx

Somewhere, in the back of his mind, Draco wondered what the fuck he was doing. Where had all his well thought out arguments against this course of action gone?

Like, for example, the fact that he wasn't gay. That hadn't used to be in question. He'd never so much as looked at another boy before now, let alone Harry. For that matter, he still didn't look at other males and find them attractive. It was just the bloody Gryffindor. Of course it was. Didn't he always have to be the exception to everything...?

Logically, Draco knew it was the wolf in him that was the source of his attraction. It wanted its mate. But even so, was that any excuse for him to be reacting so strongly to this clinch? When Harry suddenly began to kiss him back, it was all he could do not to utter some pathetic whimper and jump the boy there and then, despite not having the slightest idea of the... mechanics of such a thing. He wanted the Gryffindor, damn it all.

Yet at the same time, every self-preservation instinct in him was screaming in protest. If he gave in to this, it would be the end of him. He'd be bound to Harry irrevocably - whereas the other boy would be just as free as ever. He had no obligation to Draco, unaware of his own status as the werewolf's mate. If he merely wished to participate in a quick fling - putting the Slytherin on the same level as Chang - well, there'd be no harm done to him, would there? But for Draco...

Once again, he found himself allowing his partner to take control as he was turned around and pressed against the wall. Harry broke away for a moment, his breath coming fast as he searched Draco's face for whatever permission he was looking for. Not wanting to be given the chance to reconsider and think fully about what he was doing, the blonde reached up and pulled him forcefully back into place, closing his eyes tightly against reality. He could pretend, just for a little while, that there was nothing complicated about this - no unforeseeable consequences, no inevitable problems. They were not doing this in a hallway with the frantic hope that no one would walk by and see. He could pretend he had some control over his own actions.

"I hate this," he'd said moments ago. Well, he did. He'd never been more vulnerable in his life and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it.

Harry shivered as he felt the werewolf's considerable strength surrender to him. Yes, Draco could easily have shoved him away if he wanted to; could easily have taken control of the situation - as he'd demonstrated not moments ago with Nott. Instead, he seemed to yield totally, accepting any touch Harry chose to offer him. It was almost overwhelming, that kind of submission.

He had to stumble backwards lest he get entirely addicted to the sensation.

The blonde stared at him dazedly, looking momentarily lost. Harry raised a hand to his mouth, to discover that Draco had bitten him in his insistence that they kiss, his fingers coming away with the slightest smear of blood.

"What are you -? What was -? Draco..." He shook his head helplessly, fighting down the rush of hormones and excitement that had flooded him almost the instant the Slytherin had grabbed him.

"I-I don't..." The blonde closed his eyes for a second and seemed to shake off whatever had come over him. "Sorry."

"Don't be," Harry muttered, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Just... I thought you didn't want..." He gestured between them. "...whatever this is."

"I didn't. I don't." That, Draco thought, was sort of true. He watched the Gryffindor's expression flicker, then close over. "...I can't help it."

Harry snorted. "Nice," he responded sarcastically. "Really, very nice." Not looking at the Slytherin, he brushed past to grab his discarded Firebolt.