Chapter 16

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 16: Canine Affinity

xxx

Overcome with… with instinct, Harry ran, far faster than he'd ever be able to manage as a human. The night air rushed past him, sweet and cold, feeling strange as it ruffled his fur. Fur. Merlin, he had fur. His sudden exhilaration shocked him, making him bound deliriously across the grassy stretch in front of him, travelling on a high, wanting to yell out with excitement in the same way he'd once done when flying with Buckbeak. This was the same feeling, the same odd sense of liberation.

He barked, raising his head towards the sky and snapping elongated jaws around the sound. It came out deep and loud and only slightly unsure. Pleased, he did it again, and then again, inwardly laughing happily. It was the perfect, wordless sound of joy that the human voice couldn't quite accomplish. He didn't care that, to anyone else, he probably sounded vicious and dangerous – he was happy.

Exultant, he forced himself to move ever faster, forcing his body lower to the ground and concentrating to coordinate his new limbs. Four large paws pounded heavily on the grass, propelling him forward with canine strength and grace, something he could only dream of in his usual awkward, adolescent form.

The hut on the edge of the forest suddenly caught his eye, and he was struck with the fantastic realisation that maybe he wouldn't have to explore the grounds alone tonight. With another excited bark, he pelted off in the direction of Remus, hoping the wolf would consent to leaving his cosy home while the moon was full, just this once.

Mouth agape, tongue lolling in what he felt was a very dog-ish fashion, he loped forward, regaining speed as he went. This would be brilliant. He could give Remus what James and Sirius had once given: company, on this night when the werewolf was truly isolated. It would be a thank you, of sorts…

Lost in his thoughts, and speed increasing, his reaction was dulled when he saw the familiar figure of Fang suddenly bound out in front of him from behind the hut, followed swiftly by a paler form, large and moving and directly in Harry's path.

He tried to stop, to skid to a halt, but he was still unused to managing four legs, especially at this pace, and wasn't particularly surprised when they tangled beneath him. His momentum carried him forward unwillingly, and the next thing he knew he was barrelling into something roughly his own size, tumbling, rolling awkwardly, a graceless knot of long limbs and fur-covered bodies, growls and startled yelps escaping them.

Frantically, Harry fought to extract himself when the finally came to a stop, staggering back into an upright position before backing hastily away from the unknown presence.

Fang reappeared, dancing excitedly, his tail wagging violently. He seemed instantly to recognise Harry, showing no hesitation in coming closer, sticking his wet muzzle into Harry's face to examine this new appearance.

But Harry was too distracted eyeing the creature he'd just unceremoniously crashed into. Light, pale fur was practically aglow in the moonlight, shimmering as the other regained his feet, muscles shifting under the silvery coat. Harry gaped, fascinated and wary.

And then arctic eyes were turned on him, sending a shiver of recognition down his spine.

Malfoy!

Automatically, he tried to speak the name, but it only came out as a low, vaguely hostile growl. The white werewolf stared back at him for a moment before he, too, was hit by realisation. Lips drew back in a snarl, revealing flashing teeth.

Another four-legged figure intercepted whatever altercation might have happened between them. Harry blinked at Remus's wolf form, recognising him instantly, if only from the golden eyes that flashed reprimand between himself and Malfoy. He'd only ever seen the older man like this once before, briefly, the night he'd stunned him after his attack on the Slytherins. This was his first chance to fully study the other. He made a brown wolf, speckled with black here and there, as well as a few whitening patches of fur near his muzzle and ears.