chapter 5

Chapter 5: Alone

xxx

Despite Severus's insistant protests, Draco had been determined to attend class for most of the day. He'd given no explanation to his godfather, doubting that the Professor would really understand.

In truth, it had occurred to him that if he occupied his time concentrating on classwork, it would mean less time thinking about… Well. Other things.

Beneath everything else – beneath the arrogant, sneering façade – beneath the determination to get through this – there was only surging denial. Draco had yet to sit down and think about things properly, and if he could help it, he'd remain like that for some time to come.

If he thought about it, it'd be real.

And so, he showed up at first lesson only forty five minutes late. As soon as he arrived back in the real world he was descended on by anxious Housemates and Professors who shoved missed assignments at him. He welcomed the overbearing questions and trivial annoyances, the difficult work set by the professors. He wanted to lose himself in the meaningless problems an average day presented him with.

His first three lessons – Transfiguration, Ancient Runes, and Charms – flew by without any major glitch. He concentrated harder than any time before, listened intently, and scribbled down pieces of information furiously. When lunch came, he ate silently, all but ignoring the worried Slytherins surrounding him, and then hurried off to find Severus, who showed him to the new room he would now occupy. It was guarded by a portrait of Lilith the Sorceress, a black haired woman who cast him come-hither looks as he passed. He spent twenty minutes arranging his new living space exactly as he liked it, before rushing off again to attend Potions.

Not having been with the other Slytherins at the end of lunch, and being closer to the classroom than the rest of his Housemates, Draco found himself in the unusual and unfortunate position of being alone in the castle halls. Unfortunate, because as he rounded the corner toward Slughorn's class, he suddenly found himself staring back at almost twenty Gryffindors, Ron Weasley at the head.

For a moment, there was a very loud silence, until the redhead spoke up boldly. "Back from the Death Eater convention, Malfoy?"

The blond narrowed his eyes in annoyance. "Sod off, Weasley."

The lanky boy took a few steps forward, distancing himself from the crowd. "Snappy comeback. What's wrong? You-Know-Who Crucio you a few too many times?"

"Ron, stop it." And there was Potter, playing hero, arriving in time to drag away the big bad weasel. Draco's lip curled.

The redhead ignored him anyway. "Or maybe it's just that your bodyguards aren't here. Not so hard without them, are you?"

Growing very, very tired of this particular discussion, Draco levelled his best drop-dead-or-I'll-make-you glare up at the other. "You'd be surprised, Weasley. Now if you know what's best for you, you'll listen to your Golden Boy and shove it." Emphasising the words, he pushed past the taller boy roughly.

The redhead's freckled face twisted in a snarl and his hand went for his wand.

Catching the motion, Draco turned sharply, already reaching for the length of hawthorn which made up his own wand.

"Expelliamus!"

Both boys turned to stare incredulously at Harry, who had shouted the spell, and now held the two wands in his own hand. He blinked owlishly back at the pair.

"Potter!" the Slytherin spat in disgust, unable to come up with any other reaction.

Similarly, Ron could only splutter, "Harry!"